Sunday, December 03, 2006

I DON'T THINK WE'RE IN KANSAS ANY MORE

I am exhausted. My dad's memorial reception was yesterday. It was really nice. Not large. Maybe 40 people. I talked for 20 minutes about my dad's life. Then others came up and talked. It was really interesting to hear things about my dad I'd never known or forgotten. Like, I'd forgotten that he could draw a perfectly straight line with his pinkie finger.

Many old friends from Covenant Players came. It was nice to see them, now that I'm no longer excommunicated. (long story, only part worth telling is that it's done).

My mom appreciated everything and that made it just right. Small world event: turns out her pastor knows one of my pastors from their mission days together.

A curious event: While I was talking I noticed a woman come in and sit down. She was dressed in very casual, worn clothes, with a mane of wild hair that poured out of a head scarf. I did not recognize her and neither did anyone else. The deacons, who prepared an excellent spread for us, told me that she had walked into the kitchen and said "I'm looking for the Messiah". The deacon told me that when someone walks into a church and says this, one must not be caught unawares. Turns out that the church is putting on a performance of The Messiah next week. So the woman left. Then came right back and said "Well, the stories are just so good, I want to listen". And she did. And ate. And ate. And ate for two solid hours. One of the deacons told me that it was possible she was from one of their N/A groups. None of us minded. And we all certainly hoped she got enough to eat and had a lovely evening's post prandial rest.

My Covenant Player friend, Mark came, but his wife was sadly at home with a cluster headache. I ask please for prayers for this wonderful man. He's on a waiting list for a lung transplant. I wrote about him on 9/17 in "Goodbye/Hello". (I'd link it, but I don't know how to do that yet).

After the reception I invited a bunch of folks back to my mom's for pizza. I told her about this after I'd done it. It worked out fine. She was exhausted as well, but we didn't let her lift a finger. My husband and I got home at 10:00 to find a puddle of water under our broken water heater. This on top of the day starting with having to call the gas company out to fix a gas leak on our meter regulator.

Then today. One of our dear friends from pre-school called. Told me that another parent friend from pre-school had been killed in a terrible auto accident last Monday and his wife delivered their 4th child the next day. I have not been able to process this news yet. So surrounded by adversities petty and large am I, currently. It has given me pause as well as an extraordinary case of heartburn.

God is great and God is good. All I can do with this now is to wonder at what blessings are going to come from all of these things. Because I know they will. And I know they do. Whether we recognize them or not. They do.

But right now, I think I need to sleep because my left lower eyelid is twitching like it's fit to be tied. Makes me feel like the crazy Chief of the Surete in the Pink Panther movies.

2 comments:

Quotidian Grace said...

It sounds like your father's memorial service was really lovely. I'm so glad to hear it.

No wonder you are feeling overwhelmed with the other events of the day. Prayers going up for your family and the family who lost the father.

zorra said...

Add my prayers too. I will be especially be thinking both of your family and the other bereaved family, facing this Christmas without dad.