Saturday, February 03, 2007

LIFE'S PREY, a poem

When I was a child, my path was not open,
When I was a child, my path was not clear
Obstrucing the way was Satan's sweet whisper
Filling the ears of all those who did stay
and care for me daily and cook all my suppers
and wash my fair linens where my head did rest.

When I was a child, I didn't know different
When I was a child, I didn't know bad
When he came to me at night with sin and bad fingers
I believed it was normal and life's finer way.
My tears and my screams ended stuck in my belly
where all my dead dreams did lie there as well.

Life does not deal fairly,
Life does not pick favorites,
Life demands its' victims
without thought or care.
Life has a blind hunger
that's bigger than our world
and seeks it's full belly
oe'r what we think is fair.

And now I am grown up, I know what is different
Now I know what happened was sin and was wrong.
But what can I do when all those hangin' round here
believe a full fictional version of things,
Where what happened is nothing and I do not matter
And I'd better just shut up and never more sing.

And when you look at me, I'm six shades of normal,
Dressed smartly, well turned out, well spoken and kind.
I've buried the evil done to me way way down
you never will see it, never suspect it.
Yet it ever consumes me, eating at me quite slowly,
Will I die never known? How sad can that be?

Life does not deal fairly,
Life does not pick favorites,
Life demands its' victims
without thought or care.
Life has a blind hunger
that's bigger than our world
and seeks it's full belly
oe'r what we think is fair.

4 comments:

zorra said...

(o)

I believe you.

will spotts said...

PG - This is well done.

Do you write many poems?

Presbyterian Gal said...

Thanks, Will,

I've a gift with the rhyme, I'm told. If it serves God, then I've done my job.

Pearl said...

Coming out of the fictional narrative is a necessary process for health. Love the line 6 shades of normal.