Friday, March 02, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - ARTSY CRAFTSY

The theme is "A Beautiful Thing," inspired by the story of the woman anointing Jesus and his declaration that "She has done a beautiful thing for me." (Mark 14, NIV)

We are working on the notion that everything we do can be considered a beautiful thing--a creative offering to God--whether it's gardening or scrapbooking or accounting or sorting clothes at the clothes closet or child-rearing. And so:


1. Would you call yourself "creative"? Why or why not?
Yes. Because I harbor an insistent and demanding, often annoying drive to express myself in writing, in movement, in making the detritus of life look pretty.

2. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you currently do that you'd like to develop further.
Writing, writing writing. I want to earn a living from it: articles, books, plays, birthday poems, one-liners for the Pope.

3. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you have never done but would like to try.
I have a SAG card, for goodness sakes. I don't understand why they haven't called me to co-star with Meryl in a major motion picture. Seriously, acting would be fun, but I don't have the stomach for auditions.

4. Complete this sentence: "I am in awe of people who can _____________."
I am in awe of people who can look at a pile of apparently useless and ugly materials and then make something amazingly useful or beautiful or useful and beautful from it.

5. Share about a person who has encouraged your creativity, who has "called you to your best self." (I'm pretty sure that's from the Gospel of Oprah.
My son, Ben. The innocent joy and insistence of his childhood has made this call for me. I have to do better than I am, and then it leaks over into everything else. And it pulls me into places I would have previously walked on by and never noticed.

10 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

*one liners for the Pope~

Girl you crack me up!! Wonderful list!

Hedwyg said...

Beautiful - maybe your gift is taking apparently useless and ugly words and knitting something useful and beautiful from them?

You're not the first to name a child as a creative spark, and I'm sure you won't be the last. This is probably heretical, and may even be blasphemous, but I wonder - maybe this is why God created us?

Kievas said...

I'm with you on #2.

mompriest said...

Auditions are tough, so vulnerable...talent made subjective to interpretation of good by those casting the show...I know, casting is an art in and of itself...good play, thanks for the thoughts.

chartreuseova said...

I don't think I could stomach auditions either, but I always thought acting with Meryl would be exciting.

rev maria said...

Hmm - a child as creative inspiration, Jesus came as a child. Do you think there might be something with theological implications here?
Good play.

jill said...

great play! and it seems many of us are inspired by our children. i didn't list mine, but she's so there.

hipchickmamma said...

wow! you're own SAG card?

great play!

Sally said...

Good play- I think you're right- children often bring out the best in us...

Melissa said...

Great play; I love your #1!