Friday, March 09, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - MATTERS OF TASTE

This week's Friday Five is from Songbird:

"My mother loved figs.

I only like them in a Newton.

It's all a matter of taste.

Name five things you like a lot that some close relative or significant other did/does not like. This could be food, movies, hobbies, music, sports or whatever springs to mind."

I love olives! All kinds. Black pitted for a tasty manicure. Kalamari olives in that fantastic brine to go with the feta cheese. Forget the martini, just give me the green olives! That's what my mom would do when I was a kid. She'd order extra olives for her martini for yours truly! What a pal. And tapenade on a buttery biscuit cracker! And my son and his father can't stand 'em. Lots more for me.

I love country music. The modern stuff now, like Rascal Flatts and, I confess while ducking as you throw your mice at me, Dixie Chicks, and I've always loved Dolly. You can relate almost every issue in your real life to a country song. And what a blessing to be able to tap your foot to it at the same time! Tappin' your toes and beltin' out your miseries in 3 part harmony while sailing down the highway. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Most people I know can't stand it. Their loss for sure.

I love cats. Have two. Cally the main cat and Lucy the best cat. Grew up with cats. Learned most of my wisdom from cats. Was nursed back to health on many occasions by cats. Have enjoyed many late night chats with cats. Our pastor hates cats. Only loves dogs. Even preaches against cats in his sermons! And he wonders why his back yard is filled with rats at night. Ha!

I like getting up early in the morning to get a head start on the day. Feel closer to that million bucks with an extra jump start. Wonderboy's dad prefers to sleep in late on days off. No wonder the honey-do list grows.

And a reversal one, when growing up my momma would love to make liver and onions for dinner about once a month (echh, feccchhh, I gag even writing this!). Fortunately she would also make bacon and mashed potatoes and only require that I take two bites. I cut the smallest bites I could get away with, smothered them in mashed potatoes and bacon and tried to swallow without chewing. Choked almost every time.

9 comments:

Sally said...

yum for olives
with you on the cats
...but liver and onions are a firm fav of mine.just can't help it!!!

Quotidian Grace said...

I do like a lot of country music, too. Right now the Houston Rodeo is on so the town if full of cowboys/gals flocking to hear the country music stars wail in the middle of the sawdust ring!

Purechristianithink said...

See my Mom hated hated hated liver and never fixed it at our house. I was at least a teenager before I had some liver pate at some swank function and wondered why she'd been keeping me from this delicious stuff all my life.

Songbird said...

My mother did not like liver, so we never had to eat it. Sadly, she did like tongue...

1-4 Grace said...

My kitty, Melech, is the best listener ever. He also uses lots of his do something cute nad funny therapy if I am sick, depressed, or tired. He is the greatest at making me laugh.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Love you

*spits* dixie chicks....southern girls with no manners IMHO

Presbyterian Gal said...

You guys, oh *wipe tears from laughter from eyes* you guys lighten my day with joy balloons!! Bless you.

hipastorzwife2B said...

Country Music! Me too.
Turn it up!

Mary Beth said...

Ugghhhhhh, liver. They thought it was good for us so my mom made it once a month too. Gak! Just the smell drives me insane.

Of course I was raised in a "clean your plate, eat what's on it" family. So mine is an informed, if personal and vehement, opinion.

You can have mine, 'K?