Friday, April 20, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - SURPRISED BY JOY

This week Songbird asks:

Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life.

My son - never expecting to be a mother in my life, and quite frankly never wanting to be such and being quite sure I was unable to conceive, my son is a miraculously joyful surprise.

The church - I believed I was finished with church because church was indeed finished with me. Imagine my surprise when taking my son to be introduced to God, scriptures and a Sunday School experience, that the church still had more pain to inflict upon me. And through those painful experiences, carved out a much larger capacity for me to experience all things, including joy.

Blogging - Being a technofeeb, if you had told me one year ago that I would be a mondo blog hacker with widgets and tracking meters I would have looked at you as if you had said "Gort barada nickto". And yet being able to write for an appreciative audience (cause I have not been able to sell a *&*(@*!! thing) has been an inspiration and a joy. And I do thank you all.

Yoga - I hate exercise. I hate sweating. Hate 'em, oh yes I do. I used to take dance classes for exercise, because I love to dance and don't tell me that's exercise. It's fun. And you don't sweat when you dance, you glow. But when arthritis in my back kept me from any aerobic exercise, and I had to do something to avoid *wince* injections, it was yoga or pilates. Pilates is too much direct exercise and yoga at least has a bit more of an interesting cache about it. So I put on my big girl stretchies and went to Bikram. I still hate exercise. And I still hate sweating. But the benefit to my body and mind is so great that I'm surprised I don't mind these at Bikram. And the joy I feel afterward to be more present in my body is great.

I don't have a number five. Not yet. Number five is blank today. To be filled in. The joyful moments for me today are not often and don't last long. I have faith this will change. But first I gotta walk through the valley of the shadow. Hey! That would be a great name for a Christian rock band: The Valley of the Shadow.

And check out the blog from yesterday called "A Disturbance in the Force". If you have something to add to my unscientific study, please do.

8 comments:

QuakerPastor said...

an AMEN SISTER! regarding blogging and motherhood...QP

Iris said...

I never thought I would be a part of the blogosphere either!

I'm thinking about going to yoga class. You may have inspired me.

swandive said...

Yoga - hmmm.... OK, I am with Iris - you may have inspired me too. Such a wonderful play! Thank you.

Leah said...

Maybe especially the Church! Hey, I just wrote a long comment but it got lost in the blogosphere. Great short list, though--thanks for playing!

Songbird said...

I'm glad yoga works for you *and* is joyful!

Barb Berger said...

Yes, kids are "miraculously joyful surprises" indeed!!!

Tiria the Shadow Princess said...

Callie and Lucy-
Greenies are these yummy things. They are not very big and Giver of Greenies claim that they don't make me smell like tuna. Like that's a bad thing? As if...

She says to tell you she gets them at SmartPets or something like that .

Well, you KNOW cats don't do tricks, but I will for Greenies...

oh purrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tiria
RevGalBlogCat and
The Shadow Princess

Deb said...

Hey I'll join your band. Background vocals and keyboards. :) Joy in the middle of the shadows - I can def go there...
Deb