Friday, May 25, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE: HARD HABIT TO BREAK

Today, Reverend Mother writes:
"As many of you know, I have been experimenting with some severely curtailed Internet usage. I realized that I had gotten into some bad habits, which got me thinking about habits in general. I understand that a habits/random facts meme has already been going around. In the hopes that it hasn't hit too many of us yet, be as lighthearted or as serious as you'd like with the following:"

1. Have you ever successfully quit a bad habit, or gotten a good habit established? Tell us about how you did it.

I used to smoke. That's right. You heard me. Cigarettes. Menthol cigarettes. Virginia Slims. I started when I was twelve. My mother smoked. Like a chimney. My dad sailed on hazes of cigar and pipe smoke. Our house was so thick with it that we didn't have to cook our steaks. Just hang 'em up in the living room. When I turned 40 I started to think that maybe this smoking thing wasn't so good for me. So I cut back from a pack a day to a pack a week. Thought I was pretty nifty.

Then, at 45 I got pregnant. Even though I was a smoker I was militant about not smoking around children. Ever. That's where the habit starts. So I quit. Cold turkey. And have not smoked since. And I surely breathe better now, yes I do.


2. "If only there were a 12-step program for _________________!"

Grumpiness. It hits at the worst possible time. It creates an appetite for biting heads off. And it's not always hormones. Though at my age I get to blame everything on that. Even though I know better. Sometimes that's all that stands between me and jail.


3. Share one of your healthy "obsessions" with us.

I HAVE to exercise. My doctor says every day. That is currently impossible. Though I'm at three times a week now. So I obsess every day over my calendar looking for when I can fit in a yoga class, a resistance workout and my new Wednesday dance class? Takes precedence over everything. And I mean everything. If I needed brain surgery it would have to wait.


4. Share the habit of a spouse, friend or loved one that drives you C-R-A-Z-Y.

Only one? So unfair. I'll just give one really really hair pulling annoying one: My husband and the dishes: Since I started working, he is no longer the only one bringing money into the house. That used to be his unexpressed reasoning for never lifting a finger to do anything at all whatsoever to help with anything outside of putting salt in the water softener and once a month pulling some weeds off the hill (because he likes those chores). But now, I'm working and his not helping with any household chores is getting older than my grandma's toes. Here's how he will help with the dishes: The sink will be FULL of dirty dishes. The drying rack will overflow with clean dishes to be put away. He helps by pulling one dish out of the dishwasher. Washes it in cold water and puts it on the crowded rack to dry. Leaving the sink full and the rack overflowing. ARRRRRRRGGGGHHH


5. "I'd love to get into the habit of ___________________."

Sewing. Back to sewing. I haven't had time and my machine died last year. I love to quilt too. I so would love to get back to that. As a habit.


Bonus: What is one small action you might take immediately to make #5 a reality?

Eating better. I could start today. If only the world would cease making glazed buttermilk donuts.


Bonus 2: Try it, and let us know how it goes in a future post!

........I'll try. Trying to remember will be another good habit to start today.

CORRECTION ON #5 BONUS: I just get up too early in the morning and do this when my brain is NOT yet fully in gear. What I would do to make #5 a reality is to buy a new sewing machine of course!! Duh. Please excuse my ghastly faux pas!!

17 comments:

ellbee said...

mmmm... donuts... glazed buttermilk donuts... not that I can relate. Can we ban buffalo wings while we're at it?

Purechristianithink said...

Stop with the buttermilk donuts and you'll have an excuse to sew yourself some smaller clothes.

Sally said...

well done on the smoking that must have been tough- as for husbands and house work ( grumble, grumble grumble...)!!!

Thankfully we don't get glazed buttermilk donuts over here- fancy a move to Europe???

Diane said...

OOOH, grumpiness, I feel so exposed...

Gannet Girl said...

Menthol?????????????

It was Winstons, >arlboros, and Camels (yep-npo filter) for me. Unbelievable now.

Iris said...

You've come a long way, baby! Good for you!

Rivkah said...

Oh, girl! I hear ya on the husbands and housework. As if taking care of the kid isn't full-time by itself.
I hope you're able to get back into sewing-and hey, it might help you with the donuts too, since you wouldn't want to get crumbs on your fabric!

Presbyterian Gal said...

ellbee: Of course buffalo wings! The protein helps burn off the donuts.

PCIT: I know. I really only have one about one Sunday a month. I suspect that thinking about them puts on pounds as well.

Sally: I'd love to move over there. You guys have scones and Devon cream! And lovely tea time pastries!

Diane: I suspect you're not at all alone there.

GG: I started on Marlboros. But camels? With no filter? Did you carry them wrapped up in the sleeve of your T-shirt as well? I just can't picture it, girl!

Thank you, Iris.

Rivkah, that is an excellent tip. I should shop for a new sewing machine today!!

mompriest said...

Yes. Grumpiness. I'm 50 and well, the body is changing and I just blame all of it on hormones...

My husband will do the dishes but not the pots and pans. Never. They sit there waiting. I mean are they beneath him? Oh wait, I bet they are just too much work, scrubbing and scrubbing...sigh...

SpookyRach said...

I'm with ya on the donuts! And sooo jealous of your dance class. It sounds really cool!

(Would this be a bad time to mention that my husband does all the cooking and about half of the dish duty?)

Mary Beth said...

Yea for you on the smoking!

My husband does ZIP in the kitchen. Because, "It doesn't taste good when I cook it!"

Lame, lame, lame.

mamaS said...

Oh, husbands and dishes. The rule at our house is if you cook, the other one does the dishes. If it weren't for that rule, I'd be doing them all the time. Of course, when he cooks, all the cooking dishes are laying all over. When I cook, I wash as a go...

zorra said...

Hooray for you about the smoking!! I have heard that getting off nicotine is, neurochemically speaking, harder than getting off cocaine.

I so relate to the donut thing.

Serena said...

Oh, how I relate to the grumpiness (not nearly as much in the last 21 years without the husband issues, however -:) Spookyrach ... you're bad (but funny)!

Presbyterian Gal said...

MomPriest: I'd cook a whole lot more if mine would even wash all BUT the pots and pans. Now I keep it to one to heat the freezer bag dinners.

SpookyRach: that makes us a little even then. Although I'd trade you for Jackson in a second.

Mary Beth: I agree, that is the most lame excuse I've ever heard.

Mamas: See, now you really need to stop washing as you go. At least for one week. So he can see what it's like. Really. Try it now.

Zorra: No way! Does that mean that if I win the lottery and use half the winnings to try cocaine that it'll be easier to kick after I'm broke than the smoking was?

Serena: You just nailed half my problem on the head. Unfortunately he did not feel it. ;)

Cathy said...

I have had 2 grumpy episodes this week -
I love the brain spasm you had on the sewing and donuts!

And... I don't know why you are having trouble with my posts/comments. Anyone else on typepad's?
C

soul and culture said...

Virginia Slim Menthol Lights. Oh, yeah. I made the break after I moved across the country and decided that I would not smoke at my new house (on the porch, that is. NEVER smoked IN the house).

Yet the smell of early sobriety (to me) was a mixture of Obsession cologne, Virginia Slims menthols and coffee.