Thursday, June 07, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - GETAWAY ISLAND EDITION


Cathy writes:
"We snitched a bit of time on an quiet island nearby this week. It was a last minute plan, escaping with a minimal amount of preparation. One must have essentials that make it a relaxing time. Perhaps you have had this opportunity to escape, or maybe it's only been a thought to get away. However, suppose you were told to pack some essentials for a trip to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life."

Describe your location, in general or specific terms and....

Well, I actually am going away next week. With friends who have an apartment two blocks from a beach in a nice town. Which is perfect, because beaches are my favorite vacation places. My first choice would be Hawaii. Kauai. I love that island. Even though I was there when Hurricane Iniki hit. It's still my first dream vacation choice. But for today's purposes I'll stick with the more local fun approaching.

1) What book(s) will you bring?

What I'm reading now, which is light and humorous: "Miss Julia Strikes Back". I think I will have read them all after this one. I like light and humorous on holiday.

2) What music accompanies you?

Usually I have to settle. Next week, however, I will have my country station on, with injected doses of Rascal Flatts and James Taylor. Maybe some Gerry Rafferty. Oh yes, and Jethro Tull. If it's in Hawaii, I love the local music. The soothing hulas and the raucous luau music.

3) What essentials of everyday living must you take (as in the health and beauty aids aisle variety)?

I must have my prescription skin potions, oh I must. Plus the non prescription, medical soapless wash and exfoliating pads. And the good sunscreen. Lipstick and mascara are all I do for everyday makeup. The sonicare toothbrush, floss and stimudents to keep my gums out of hiding. Lubriderm lotion. Shampoo. Extra conditioner to repay what the salt air steals. Intuition razor if it's more than 3 days. Tweezers for the hairs that shouldn't be. Comb and brush for the hair that should. Deodorant to persuade the locals that I'm friendly. Listerine to seal the deal. Q-tips. Nail clippers. Nail file. Motrin. And no perfume for me any more. The scented lotions are puhlenty. Especially the Bath and Body ones.

4) What technological gadgets if any, will you take with you or do you leave it all behind?

Just the cell phone. And it's only been used once last year when my dad was in the hospital. Oh, yeah and the electronic Sudoku.

5) What culinary delights will you partake in while there?

If it's Hawaii I go for the local fish. Next week, as long as I don't have to cook it and it doesn't jump off my plate or high five my fork, it's mealtime. As much as I love culinary excellence I really only crave just one extra special meal on vacation. I'd rather have more time to play.

As a bonus question, what makes for a perfect day on vacation for you?

Ahhhh. Sleep in until 8:00. Get up and enjoy a lazy breakfast with a newspaper and the crossword and sudoku puzzles. Then a brisk activity before lunch. A tour or a sail or a visit to a place of local interest. Then on with the swimsuits, gather the towels and it's off to the beach for lunch and play time. Play in the waves. Make sandcastles. Fly kites. Breathe deep the healing salted air. Watch the ocean for magical surprises. Like a school of dolphins swimming by, jumping out and waving "hey" with their tails. Or sea otters frolicking offshore. Tidepool snooping. Followed by a lovely swim at the pool of wherever we stay. A quick shower and a simple dinner with a lovely wine to complete the process of turning all the sharp edges into an calm pool of peace.

15 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

So when are we going?

Quotidian Grace said...

"as long as it doesn't jump off my plate or high five my fort, it's mealtime" made me snort coffee unattractively up my nose.

I'm in.

Sally said...

sounds wonderful... fish and music and everything... lets go!!!

mompriest said...

My one vacation to the ocean took place a few years ago in Washington State. At this beach the water and sand were too mucky, the air too cold and misty. For the Pacific it seems you have to be south, at least to Oregon. We took a long car trip one day down the coast from Washington into Oregon. Breath taking. But from your description I can see why a beach vacation would be fabulous.

SpookyRach said...

Can you drop by here and pick me up on your way? I'd go halves on gas!

QuakerPastor said...

Saweet! Can I bring golf clubs?!
my word verification looks like an abbreviated "I love Iraq" groan
QP

Magdalene6127 said...

Presby Gal, I will totally take your perfect day... it sounds divine.

See you there!

Mags

Serena said...

Busy week here ... just catching up ... sure hope you feel better and have a great week at the beach! Ditto Jan's comment on Monday ... you're a great writer .. you always make me laugh.

rev maria said...

So where is this beach town? I don't live that far from you but I haven't found a place I love to just go to yet. Only been in So Cal 4 years and I don't get out much.

Have a great time!

Cathy said...

Sounds great! Your perfect day sounds like fun. I love your health and beauty aids essentials list - wow!

rev maria said...

Thanks for visiting. I do know the town you're going to - I've passed on freeways. I'll have to get The Husband to wander there with me soon.
have fun!

Deb said...

How very cool. I'm packing now. Who needs Greek???

d

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am totally going to vacation with you....and use out of your toiletries bag.

And I am so totally in agreement with the Intuition razors.

Mrs. M said...

You are a detail-oriented lady! Your vacation plans are fantastic.

Mother Laura said...

I was in too much of a hurry to do the perfect day but you wrote mine! Even including the sea otters and dolphins (and some pelicans, please, while we're at it). So thanks! And have a great time on the real trip.