Friday, June 22, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE: HOT TOWN, SUMMER IN THE CITY

Reverend Mother writes:

"..or town, or suburb, or hamlet, or burg, or unincorporated zone, or rural area of your choice---pretty much anywhere but the southern hemisphere, it's summer. (Australians and others, consider this an invitation to take a break from winter for a while.)"

1. Favorite summer food(s) and beverage(s)

Hot weather lessens my appetite (a good thing in preparation for winter holiday feastings), so I like salads and light food. Salads with fruit are really good. (Whooops, almost forgot the beverage: Iced coffee, instead of hot coffee. Iced non-fat lattes, yum)

2. Song that "says" summer to you. (Need not be about summer explicitly.)

Baton: *tap tap tap* "Summertiiiiiiiiiiime........and the livin' is eeeeeeeeasy........fish are jumpin'.........and the cotton is high.
Your daddy's ri-ich........and your mama's good lookin'.........so hush little baby........do-on't you cry.
(and I sing that one really well too!!)

3. A childhood summer memory

In my pre-teen youth my mom and dad loved camping. Every year. Out we go to the national parks. And ghost towns. Dry dusty and, for a child, excruciatingly boring, ghost towns. I particulary remember one camping trip in Kings Canyon National Forest, where a squirrel befriended us and would come up and crawl into my lap for peanuts. It was the most magical thing. Sort of a Francis of Assisi moment, before I knew who St. Francis was.

4. An adult summer memory

September, 1992: After a brillilant holiday on the island of Kauai, on our last day when we were to leave, hurricane Iniki hit. Even though the hotel said we'd be safe staying there (we would not have been), we went to the airport anyway and ended up in the Kauai War Memorial auditorium, with it's copper roof. We sat in there for 8 hours, with no lights, listening to the Civil Defense radio band upgrading the hurricane every half hour. It hit Kauai straight on. Afterwards it looked like a bomb had decimated the place, but oddly every third or fourth house would still be standing, fully intact. A very surreal time.

5. Describe a wonderful summer day you'd like to have in the near future. (weather, location, activities)

I want to go back to the beach. San Clemente beach is just perfect. Wonderboy plays in the water all day with a friend, as I lazily watch from the shore, sipping a refreshing beverage. Doin' nothing, but enjoying the majesty of God's swimming pool.

Optional: Does your place of worship do anything differently in the summer? (Fewer services, casual dress, etc.)

This is California. Every Sunday is casual dress day. Up until this year there was no Sunday School, so we would miss a lot of church. This year they have a program, I'm happy to say. Once every summer there's Hawaiian shirt day for the men, but nothing for the women. But, as I said, it's California and it's hard to tell Hawaiian shirt day from any other. Hey! I have an idea, on Hawaiian shirt day, I'll wear one of my husband's!! That'll work.

15 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I spent a lot of time growing up in SoCal, and I'd totally forgotten about field trip to Knotts Berry Farm! Have a great time.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Nothing for the women....means they go topless?? *snickers*

I love the squirrel story!

Songbird said...

How about Lei Day?

Quotidian Grace said...

I want a picture of you in hubby's Hawaiian shirt.

Kievas said...

Hawaiian shirt day, that'll work (although I don't think I own one anymore)!

ellbee said...

Excellent idea, Songbird.
The men wear hawaiian shirts and the women get lei-ed...

snicker, snicker...

We have casual dress all the time here in Floriday too. The lay reader last week was in shorts!

Diane said...

Makes me want to come to "every day is casual day" California!

Barbara B. said...

I loved the 'tap tap tap' of the baton before you broke into song... nice touch! :)

SpookyRach said...

Ah, love the squirrel thing. That's so cool!

Maybe I can come visit on Lei Day. Since that's my middle name.

And yes, Ellbee, I have heard alllll the lame-ass jokes about that one, let me tell ya.

Sally said...

love the Francis of Assisi moment! & like you I eat less in summer- well played!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

hilarious - every day is Hawaiian shirt day! where I am if you were a H.shirt it means you just got back from a cruise... bon voyage!

Rev Kim said...

Ahh, San Clemente. My parents live there, and I lived there from '85-'05, minus four years in NJ. Waking up every morning and seeing the great Pacific. How great was it to leave Wyoming at -22 degrees this past Christmas Day to drive back there to get married! It's a great beach town; unfortunately it's grown so much over the past decade or so that it's not the sleeply little beach town it once was.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Songbird, I like "lei day" that would be nice. Would smell pretty too if we could get the right flowers.

Mindy, it would be interesting to go to church topless with just a lei, and certainly much cooler, but the poor pastor would not know where to look if we did that. Wouldn't be nice.

Rachel, your middle name is Lei? Were you born in Hawaii? (won't make a joke, too tired after Knotts)

And if I can sneak the shirt out of my husband's closet, I'll do a picture. *hee hee*

Serena said...

Love the St. Francis moment ... reminded me of sitting on the patio of Mexican Restaurant in Ranier, WA and feeding chips to two squirrels, who were sitting on my lap before I left! Heartwarming moments when we connect with our fellow residents of this earth.

Mary Beth said...

Ummmm, iced coffee...iced lattes...skinny ones.

Mmmm.

I can't stand to drink hot beverages in the summer if I have to go outside. I drink iced tea or iced coffee at home and until I get safely in my AC'd office!