Tuesday, July 17, 2007

EXCUSE ME

Starving:
I'm hungry now. Too tired to walk.
Nothing left for my boy to nurse.
Can you see me here?

Fed:
I'm sorry, but no time right now.
I have to take my children to their
shiny school after their pancake breakfast.

Starving:
Do you see my boy.
My heart is broken afresh every day
that I cannot feed him.

Fed:
Sorry? What was that?
I'm late you know.
Have to go. We'll chat later.

Starving:
Somehow I have to walk another 15 miles.
It's said there's water there.
Can you see me here?

Fed:
No time, no time,
I have back to back meetings today.
Important business, important plannings.

Starving:
Perhaps your wife then?

Fed:
Oh no, no no.
She's busy, booked up
with chores and errands and things we need.

Starving:
Oh.

Fed:
Now don't be that way.
We help, you know.

Starving:
How? Do you mind if my boy
and I lie down now.
We're very tired.

Fed:
(wiping hands) Er, um, of course.
Well, we give. Money.
To charity.

Starving:
We don't want your money.

Fed:
It's not our fault, you know.

Starving:
We don't care whose fault it is.
We're just hungry.
And sick.

Fed:
I don't have time for this right now.
I have important planning to do.

Starving:
We don't want your time.

Fed:
I'll help tomorrow. That's what.
I'll book 5 minutes for you at one.

Starving:
We can't make it.

Fed:
What?

Starving:
We're dead at 6:00 today.

Fed:
Oh. It's not my fault you know.

Starving:
I still don't care.

Fed:
I'm doing important work here.
You'll see.

Starving:
Not us. We won't.

Fed:
Well, those after you. Next year.
We're making some beautiful
buildings. They'll change things.

Starving:
When? Not for us.

Fed:
You'll see. Well those after you.
Our buildings will bring in
only the best people.
Only the best. They're the ones.

Starving:
We need you.
Now.

Fed:
No time today. No time.
Important meetings, plannings.
What was it you wanted?

Starving:
Just a glass of milk.
For my boy.
So he can die without his stomach hurting.



Bloggers for Darfur
Genocide Intervention Network
The Hunger Site

18 comments:

pastorsbride said...

Came across your blog today - and I like it. Thanks.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Hello PastorsBride and welcome.

Jan said...

Harrowing. Glad you put the links at the end, along with the picture. Tears that I hope are prayer.

Diane said...

wow. that's all I can say. this needs to be heard. thanks. and for the links.

revabi said...

Speechless.

Cathy said...

:... same as abi....

Pastor Eric said...

I came across your blog through Diane. Thanks for the post. It is amazing how satisfied we can become by just sending money and then sitting back to enjoy our life. The problem is that our busy lives contribute to our forgetfulness of a great problem.

Thank you again.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Pastor Eric:
That is indeed the problem. And then when we realize our forgetfulness, we often spend too much time in guilt ridden haranguing. It's only because we're human and that's what human animals do. I believe that grace is so we can forgive ourselves quickly and then go help those in need NOW. Jesus was all about "time is of the essence".

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

~sighs~ why are we like that?

Ed said...

No words ... Thanks for this stunnning post.

Songbird said...

(o)

Kievas said...

Thank you.

Diane said...

PB, you are right about the "guilt-ridden haranguing". Sometimes I don't say what I want to because I'm afraid that's how it will come out. And that doesn't help at all.

But you got it exactly right.

Thank you again.

Diane said...

Sorry, PG (I can't type).

Singing Owl said...

(o) Oh...no words.

Serena said...

I too am speechless, except to say beautiful, and thank you.

Gannet Girl said...

I left a comment here when you first posted this but it didn't go through. Now that you are famous-for-the-day, I am reminded to try again:

Magnificent post.

ellbee said...

Thank you for a brilliant reminder of who we should be (and shouldn't)