Friday, July 27, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - FLOODS AND DROUGHT


Sally writes today:
Here in the UK we are struggling with floods, other parts of the world have similar problems without the infrastructure to cope with it, still others are badly affected by drought.... My son Jon is in Melbourne Australia where apparently it has been snowing ( yes it is winter but still!).... With crazy weather in mind I bring you this weeks Friday 5...


1. Have you experienced living through an extreme weather event- what was it and how did you cope?

September 1992 my husband and I were on Kauai. Our last day there, September 11 as it so happened, Hurrcane Iniki hit the island dead on. We were lucky enough to get into the Kauai War Memorial auditorium with 1,500 other people when it hit. It lasted for 7 hours. We sat in auditorium chairs the whole time. Every now and then someone would open a side exit door to stabilize the room pressure and each time a palm tree, just outside, was bent lower and lower.

Just before the eye the winds got so strong that all the lights went completely out and we heard the copper roof start to rip off. Water came in on people to the left of us and you could hear a rush of wave made of people as they screamed and moved to the other side. After the eye the storm was not as severe.

Then the three days afterward, sleeping on the floor, helping on volunteer teams to clean bathrooms and clear rubble, were surreal. We got out first because we were in the only shelter on the entire island with running water and they needed it for the residents. Actually we got out second because Japan sent a ship in the next morning to take all the Japanese nationals home.


2. How important is it that we wake up to issues such as global warming?

I believe we're already too late and God will deal. That said, we still need to do as much as we can to help. From what I've read I believe that we have far too many people living today than our planet's resources can support in our current lifestyle. When God deals with this, I believe it will be harsh.


3. The Christian message needs to include stewardship of the earths resources agree/ disagree?

Absolutely agree. And I believe we have been sadly remiss with this issue.


And because it is summer- on a brighter note....


4. What is your favourite season and why?

Fall. The weather's crisp and cool. It has my favorite smells. And I love plaid wool skirts. Even though I don't currently own any.

5. Describe your perfect vacation weather....

Hawaii. Any time of year. As long as a hammock and umbrella drinks are involved.

11 comments:

Serena said...

WOW! What a frightening hurricane experience. I totally agree with you on the issue of Global warming. Great play. (I'm off to VBS now, so will have to play later.)

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Hurricanes scare me far more than tornados any day ...
Bet you're right about the global warming ... but I hope you're wrong.

Sally said...

I suspect you are right about global warming too- well played- glad you survived the hurricane.

ellbee said...

The best thing about coming to your place for Friday 5 is that I get to stay and read what you've added since the Friday before!

Thanks for sharing your wit and your experiences with us! I hope you indeed write a book... I'd want a signed first edition.

Kievas said...

That's a scary experience...I think I'd rather have an ice storm than a hurricane.

karlassi said...

Whoah! Very scarey. I am with Ellbee, I love catching up on your in between Friday Five stuff, too...and am in total agreement on the plaid skirts, and am hopeful for one this fall...with knee length riding boots, maybe...?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Great list! You are a brave girl.

Diane said...

yes, what a scary story! glad you made it okay to tell the tale. Hard to be far away from home during it too.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

do think maybe God is already dealing harshly with us? makes me think...

oh plaid skirts... you skinny thing you go for it!

Songbird said...

I get the idea you love Hawaii!

Barbara B. said...

I agree that re: global warming we really are too late... and that we need to get our butts in gear and do as much as we can to help!