Thursday, July 19, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - LOOKING BACK, LOOKING FORWARD

Sally writes:
"When I began work here at Downham Market a wise friend told me that after one year I would see a few changes and sense God at work- years two and three would cause me to question and to wonder why I had chosen to accept the post here and in year four I might see the beginnings of something new."

And so with that in mind alongside yesterdays celebrations I bring you Friday 5 Looking back, looking forward..

1. Share a moment/ time of real encouragement in your journey of faith

After trying all the churches in my neighborhood, I chose my best friend's Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. In the Sunday School I had so many questions. I would stay after and ask more. The teacher was very kind and took extra time to answer my questions. She gave me the courage to arrange a meeting with the pastor and get baptized. I was ten years old. I remember her kindness. She made Jesus a real person for me.

2. Do you have a current vision / dream for your work/ family/ministry?

I pray daily, sometimes lamenting, that I will have career vocation with my writing in the church. With dramas or presentations. My wildest dream would be to write and produce Christian film. That would be so sweet. I have so many ideas for really good stories. I especially want to take scripture and make it alive for our time. With great humor, where appropriate. To inspire folks to pick the book up again and check it out. I got to do some of that at my church until.....well, just until. I have to believe that God has a plan somewhere for me to do this before I am too old and decrepit to remember how to spell decrepit.

3.Money is no object and so you will.....

Buy camera equipment. Hire a crew. Make the films from #2 above and market them without mainstream entertainment interference. Hire really talented actors who are not necessarily famous. With maybe one really famous one to get it sold. Introduce media into worship and church life as a scripture based tool. Teach others how to do this too.

Then go to Italy for custom made shoes.

4. How do you see your way through the disappointments? What keeps you going?

When things are really really bad, I'll down a brandy before bed. Play my music really loud. And read. And go back to scripture and pray. And rant to God and lament. What keeps me going: easy, only one thing besides God holding me upright and that's my boy. My precious gift of being his mother.

5. How important are your roots?

Given my personal history and my immediate family history, my roots have given me the perspective and insight I had to have to forgive my immediate family's creation of a blindly brutal and often callous upbringing. Though going through it, they did not see it that way at all. Anyway, having routed out that family history gave me compassion for their experiences and showed me how the experiences of previous generations informs our upbringing. Knowing what went into their life experiences helped me to heal so very much. I've gone back 4 generations at least on both sides.

Unless, of course, you're asking about my hair color. In which case, I must do the roots every 4 weeks. My hair just grows too fast.

6. Bonus= what would you like to add ?

There's one common thread looking back and looking forward and that's simply this: there is never enough time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

17 comments:

Sally said...

I love this - and can't wait to see that film!

I can truly identify with your thinking about roots from a family perspective... as for hair colour my hair grows fast too!!!

Diane said...

me too... and I can't wait to use the film in worship!

i like your last comment too...possibilities for redemption

karlassi said...

I love your dreams...get that crew...it just takes a little one! I would love to see what you create...and I am with you on the trip to Italy for shoes!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love your list. I love the honesty and the humor. I just love you to pieces.

And I am so coming to the premier. Will there be a red carpet. But I sure will not know how to act!

SpookyRach said...

Yep, cool list. I wanna go for the shoe-buying trip, too. I can carry boxes, remember.

Kievas said...

I definitely think you should pursue your dream...give the Kendrick brothers a run for their money :)

Quotidian Grace said...

Here's another fan chiming in--we hope you do get some of your plays or movies produced! I'd love to see them and love your stories.

I'm all about shoe shopping, too, by the way.

revabi said...

I would love to see your films too. You and reverend mommy should join together. She has done somepretty good ones for worship.
If I had the money I would hire you. Can you come to AL with your roots and all.

Brandy? mmm, haven't tried that one, I have the mom thing though that kicks in too.

How powerful that your family roots have helped you to deal with your family's callousness. Thank you for sharing it. and thanks for commenting on mine.

Iris said...

I love your story about that faithful Sunday School teacher. I am always amazed that some view teaching children as being not as important as other things that we do. You are living proof that a teacher can make a huge difference in a life and for the church.

Singing Owl said...

This was wonderful to read. I understand about wanting dreams to happen before we're too old to care...and I'll pray about this with you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

ah yes... 2 tips for you. #1 - you can extend to 6 weeks if you zigzag your part (not great but it does the trick)and #2- if you ever make Brandy Alexanders... use chocolate ice cream (not vanilla) gives a much richer flavor!

oh and a #3 tip... keep writing!!!

zorra said...

Of course we have to go to Italy BEFORE the premiere to make sure you have just the right shoes to walk the red carpet!

I like your story about the Sunday school teacher, too. It is encouraging to look back through one's life and see some (we don't know all) of the people in whom God was present.

Leah Sophia said...

Hey, I love your entire list, (maybe) especially #1 and #5. You can teach film and drama at my future Place for the Arts, so that's a shoutout for #2 and #3...this has been a great topic for everyone!

Presbyterian Gal said...

Thanks so much you guys for your positive support.

New To Do List:

1. Write amazing script
2. Raise money to film and film/edit and score
3. Attract Christian distribution company
4. Fly to Italy with RevGal pals to buy premiere shoes
5. Coach Mindy on how to "do" the red carpet
6. Order chocolate ice cream for the Brandy Alexanders at premiere party
7. Fly in all RevGal pals for premiere
8. Have opening prayers led by RevGalPal Revs
9. Watch film. (Opening credit goes to Father/Son and Holy Spirit)
10. Party till dawn

11. Repeat steps 1 through 10.

Cathy said...

Well, should I leave a comment on your post or should I leave a post about your new comment??? :)

I like your to do list -- however, I love the story about your Sunday School as a 10 year old. Maybe that could be your next movie's theme/plot?

Serena said...

I LOVE all of this ... and am adding my prayers. Please pursue your dreams ... and count me in on the trip to Italy to buy the shoes, and the trip down the red carpet for the premiere

Diane said...

especially love your opening credit. (well, also, flying in all the Revgals would be pretty cool too)