Friday, August 24, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE: Cultural

From Sally this week:
"I have spent the week at Summer School studying the Gospel and Western culture, we have looked at art, literature, music, film and popular culture in their myriad expressions. With that in mind I bring you the cultural Friday 5".

Name a

1. BookI read this book straight through. So excited. The author is an MIT physicist, now a professor at Jerusalem University. He is also a Bible scholar. He takes discoveries in physics, cosmology, paleontology and archaeology and demonstrates the literal truth of much of the Old Testament. Including Genesis, folks. It was just the coolest book.

2. Piece of musicShe saw me through my dad's passing. She's helping me with my mom's moving. I can have a good cry with a couple of cuts from this album. And there's no question that Jesus is playing back up for her.


3. Work of art- I do enjoy paintings and sculptures and all that. But not as passionately as dance. Watching it and doing it, both. It's pictures drawn and stories told with bodies. Swan Lake, the Nutcracker, Dennon and Sayhber Rawles' Tango Apassianado are beautiful expressions of God's majesty through our bodies. (BTW, that's Dennon and Sayhber pictured here. I was blessed to have taken class from them for several years)

4. Film I still watch this film. I've used music from it in my dramas. It speaks to me of God's still and always miraculous interaction with us. If we will only listen.

5. Unusual engagement with popular culture - No pictures for this one. I'd have to say becoming a mother late in life has completely turned my views inside out, upside down and rightside over. From Sesame Street, to a new awareness of the dark side of marketing, to being here with you right now. None of that would have happened without the gift of my son. It has made the gift that that other Son so much more meaningful to me.

That have helped/ challenged you on your spiritual journey.

Bonus: Is engagement essential to your Christian faith, how and why? Yes. It's where God calls through to me when my own openings are closed. Bringing me back. Calling me out. And correcting my course.

10 comments:

Barbara B. said...

I heard about that book but have not yet read it -- sounds cool!

Sue said...

Great play PG!

revhipchick said...

i definately need to check out hat book! thanks!

great play!

Marie said...

Dance! What a fabulous answer!!

jledmiston said...

Thanks for these cool connections. Can't wait to listen to the music.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

I believe HubHC has read that one also and loved it! Dance... mmmm yes indeed. I however have not the flexibility to do it myself nor the patience to figure out the story as they dance... unless of course it's irish dancing and well then...

Deb said...

Another artist to help me spend my iTunes card! Cool! :)
d

Jan said...

The book sounds great. Goes along with the one I'm reading right now--"Radical Amazement," which you may have recommended to me last month?

mompriest said...

oh, I forgot to mention dance. yes. I love to just dance...give me a good song, a good band, and I really want to move my feet....

Serena said...

Great play ... and I thought I commented on it yesterday ... I too loved The Science of God .. and Field of Dreams .. and oh yes, dance ...