Friday, September 21, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - de-cluttering edition



In the midst of moving children off to college Sally says:

"Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5;"

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?

I am a hoarder with delusions of minimalism. I will go along and go along, believing that I have been brutal in tossing out all that's not needed. Then, without warning I'll discover that I can no longer walk into my closet.

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.

Just one? It would be my computer if it's just one. If I got just a couple more, then sculptures my dad made, paintings my mom did, my scrapbook photos of my son......

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???

Usually I am the oldest item in my closet and I will sometimes fit. But I think you meant clothing. It would be a size 4 pair of jeans that, no, do not still fit. I keep them to remind me that I was actually once that size. For 5 minutes. Until I ate supper.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?

I've no need of a new yard. I would be in the hate 'em category. I find them a large suck hole of time, where I end up finding nothing.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.

Lately, after what we've gone through with my mom, it would be furniture. Though my mom did a great job. We found a handyman who took her unsellable furniture to local shelters and hospice homes.

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add....

With my mom's big move, I've been thinking a lot about stuff lately. How it ends up such a yoke around my neck. It's such a blessing to be able to just consider the lilies as Jesus told us to do. Yet those clingy attachments to the thingies still abide. I've watched friends helping us pack, hovering over items of my mom's, asking "are you going to want those PG?" Then when I've said "No", finding them hoarded away on their purse or by their keys for taking home. Then considering my poor mom watching her life with my father so alarmingly dismantled before her eyes. And I again think of "consider the lilies". I just pray that when it's my time to downsize and dismantle my life, there won't be so much darned stuff. We need a Weight Watchers for stuff, don't we?

Now, please excuse me because I have to prepare my house to receive some of my mom's stuff tomorrow on our big moving day.

13 comments:

SpookyRach said...

I love your stuff! This is too perfect! Good luck on moving day!

Counselor in Process said...

Come to think of it, I need a yard, but where would I put it? Thanks for the great post.
Joanna

"PS" said...

You had me smiling and grinning with #1 and #3. Thanks for the Friday pick-me-up

Kievas said...

Yeah, thanks for the chuckles, as usual. Well played!

Rev Kim said...

So very well played. I like your bonus, too. What a touching image you drew for us.

rev maria said...

I always answer the "what would you grab if your house was on fire" with "my laptop! My life is in there!" :-)

I ended up with much of my mother's furniture when she downsized and carted it all over the country with me. It WAS a yoke around my neck, and I finally let it go. For the first time in my whole life I now have furnishings I chose (and I'm over 50!) Thanks for sharing.

mompriest said...

"I'm the oldest thing in my closet and sometimes I don't fit" haa haa that was a clever comment. And, well, true for me.

Jan said...

Such good answers that ring true for me. It is a surprise in what must be my denial to find I cannot walk into my closet! Moving your mother must be hard. Thanks for taking the time to share.

zorra said...

They make a size 4?

Diane said...

yes LOL about the size 4! and loved your bonus. a weight watchers for stuff.

BookGal said...

Keep your sense of humor - here's wishing you sunshine tomorrow.

Rowan The Dog said...

Excellent answers Presbyterian Gal.

Identity Mixed said...

You're the oldest thing in your closet! I giggled!