Friday, September 07, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - On Overcoming

Sally's Friday Five is inspired from apprehension over taking her son for a cardioversion. (Prayers going up for him, Sally)


1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like...

I have indeed. By the spectacular, which I have concluded to be miracles; and by the quiet whisperings:

Finding my parents and then just my mom a home when needed....immediately and their home selling....immediately with no haggling.

And other miracles I've posted about before, here, and here.

And most profoundly, changing my entire life, this guy:



2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul, if so what brought you through?

More like a couple dark decades. And even after coming through, another dark decade. I am part of an extraordinary family of beleaguered saints. The worst of the worst happens to each of us, over and over and over. Even my own Siggy says she's never heard tell anything like what we've gone through. Family darknesses (not just mine) include:
suicides
lawsuits
divorces
alcoholism
kidnapping and beating
rapes
attempted poisoning
death of a child
.....just to name a few

And what gets me through are humor, God's strength added to my own, miracles as talked about above, and the gift of a sense of the universe being so far greater and wondrous than all this. As in, will any of this really really bother me 100 years from now?

3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort?

The 23rd Psalm. And Jesus' sermon on the Mount.
And more Psalms.

4. Is "why suffering" a valid question?

Yes. It is on my list of "What was all THAT about?" for when I meet Jesus.
Also, you know, sometimes it occurs to me that I would not be where I am today, doing what I do the way I do it if there hadn't been such profound suffering in my life. As in the way steel is tempered. I figure my family should be a bag of diamonds by now.


5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate?

Sleep. Read. Reflect. Diet and exercise. Sleep. Oh, and did I mention, sleep.


Bonus- anything you wish to add....

Just one thing....that saying that God never allows more than you can handle. I do disagree with that. I believe many people get more than they can handle. And I believe that that's because this portion of our eternal existence is just a tiny tiny part. So yeah, we'll get more than we can handle here and then have to deal with it...there.

22 comments:

QuakerPastor said...

WOW--thanks for your responses
Blessings and Peace to you!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

enjoyed your bonus. It reminds me of my favorite quote from Forrest Gump *Sometimes there just ain't enough rocks*

Love you sunshine.

Barbara B. said...

that trite saying 'God never allows more than you can handle' has annoyed me for some time! :)

thanks for sharing your answers (I wasn't quite up for playing this one today!)

zorra said...

I agree so much with your bonus comment. Some people are given way more than they can handle, or more than anyone should be expected to handle. At least that is what it looks like on this side of the veil. And "What was all THAT about?" is definitely on my list of questions for Jesus, too.
((PG))

Presbyterian Gal said...

Quaker Pastor: Thanks! Blessings and peace to you too!

Princess Mindy: I love that Forrest, Forrest Gump. Love you back.

((((Barbara B.)))))

Zorra: This side of the veil is a good way to put it.

revhipchick said...

wonderful play. you are definately a diamond!

Leah Sophia said...

Thanks for the decades remark, and it sounds as if you're from the same kind of Faulknerian family as I am...great play all around!

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Like the bonus ... very much like the bonus.

Rev Kim said...

Thanks for this great play. And I really like your bonus.

Linda McMillan said...

RE the bonus... BINGO!
Lindy

Deb said...

Your least favorite quote is right up there with 'God helps those who helps themselves' and that HORRIBLE song "Got any rivers you think are uncrossable..." or maybe it's just me.

Thanks for sharing.
Deb
Who feels more like a pile of curing fertilizer than tempered steel at the moment...

Sue said...

Thanks for this.

(((PG)))

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

i used the image of diamonds in last week's sermon... that God takes the time to clean us, shape us, and polish us... anyhoo these responses have convinced me we would so get along... we'd be sipping margaritas & laughing together alot... not always laughing but we'd make the most of things that's for sure.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Revhipchick: Thanks

Leah Sophia: Never thought of it that way. Cool.

Reverend Dona Quixote, Rev Kim, and Lindy: Yup, it's the only thing I could ever come to to reconcile certain people's untimely ends and sufferings beforehand.

((Deb)) Those are awful sayings too. And somebody needs to tend the garden! We can't all of us hold up the high rises.

Hot Cup Lutheran: up - we could hang for sure.

Sally said...

P.G. I am with you and Deb on the quotes, thank you for sharing such deep stuff....and for your prayers!

mompriest said...

I am way over: "God has a plan"... "there's a reason for everything" and "God never give us more than we can handle"...

But a sense of humor - now that I have always wished I had more of!

(but you know, what do you do when you can't even sleep anymore?) (that't what really got me...)...

Serena said...

I, like Sally, really appreciate you sharing this deep stuff. Especially thankful for the links to your miracle stories. Most of the miracles I've experienced first had have also been when in my car. And agree with others on comments about the "God has a plan" quotes and your bonus answer. Thanks.

Serena said...

yikes, typo, experienced miracles first hand ....

SpookyRach said...

"Bag of diamonds" - *grins*

Love the comments on this one. Just think how boring we'd all be without the craptacula of our collective experience.

Perry Mason said being boring is the worst sin.

Diane said...

I too loved your bonus...hit the nail on the head.

Gannet Girl said...

GREAT post. And I am right there with everyone on the tiresome (amd just plain wrong) qoutes.

Cathy said...

PG, this IS a great posting! and I hope you and your Mom are getting things situated with the move.