Friday, September 28, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - Reverendmother's Swan Song

Reverendmother sings her Swan Song thusly: "Well friends, as I prepare for the birth of Bonus Baby, it's time to simplify life, step back from the Friday Five, and let one of the other capable and creative RevGals take the helm. It's been a great almost 17 months of co-hosting the F5, but it's time to say goodbye... so here's my swan song."


On Endings and Goodbyes:

1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show

Movie: Field of Dreams, James Earl Jones' character walks into the cornfield, "Ray" has a catch with his dad as all those cars are a'linin' up to come and see.

Book: No contest - "Gone With The Wind". Never been a better one.

TV show: I do watch TV, but that I can't come up with one here tells me that in my opinion, the end of every TV show is a good thing.

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show

Movie: Ingmar Bergman always left me hangin'

Book: Stephen King's "The Stand". Loved, loved, loved the story. But the book needed to end two chapters earlier. It was obvious that he had fallen in love with the place and his editor didn't have the cajones to tell him to get out sooner.

TV show: Twilight Zone. That show should have never ever ever ended. The ending wasn't bad. That it ended was bad.

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced.

When I said goodbye to my dad last October. I could tell him, but he couldn't talk to me because he was in such bad shape. But I told him, "Everything's all done now dad. The lawn's mowed. The yard is watered. All your tools are cleaned and put up. The house looks beautiful. You're sittin' in your easy chair with the cat on your lap and a nice cool beer on the side table. Just lay back now and rest. It's all done now. And all is forgiven, all is forgiven."

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"?

All things come to an end, period. But the ending of one thing is always the beginning of something else. Good, bad or indifferent.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott
Discuss.

The material: cat claw marks, or the claw marks of not being able to let go easily.
The emotional and ephemeral: ditto the claw marks of not being able to let go easily.


Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until

..........the very last proton has degraded."

11 comments:

will smama said...

Your words to your Dad could be the ending to a movie. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

Rev Kim said...

You brought tears to my eyes with sharing about your good-bye to your dad. So eloquent.

With my answers, I went back & forth for awhile between "Rear Window" & "Gone With the Wind."

Great play!

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing about your dad. My goodbye for my dad is very special, too. Lovely.

mompriest said...

laugh. cry. laugh. (Must mean I at Presbygals blog)...good play once again.

Kievas said...

I liked the bonus answer!

Barbara B. said...

Field of Dreams!!! Yes!!! Absolutely!!!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh The Stand... yeah what a disappointment after reading thru all those bleepin' pages!

on a more serious side, what a beautiful memory with dad.

And ummm... proton degraded? geepers babe you sound a little down and out. grab something cool to drink... you've had a week!

Diane said...

great play, great words to your dad, OF COURSE on Field of Dreams. Awesome

Cathy said...

Beautiful what you said to your dad....just beautiful.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh that about your daddy made me cry.

I LOVED the Twilight Zone. Black and white version!

SpookyRach said...

Loved this - it is indeed extremely eloquent.

And I loved your Stephen King answer. He hasn't had an editor with balls since he wrote IT, in my opinion.