Thursday, October 18, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - Homage to the Top Chef

.....A little break from the story. But no worries. A new installment comes later Friday!!

My Princess Mindy Swap Partner Extraordinairre, RevHRod writes:

"This Fall my family has been energetically watching Top Chef on the Bravo channel. My teenage daughter watches with the dream of some day being a chef. My husband watches because he loves reality shows and I mean, really loves them. Plus the whole competition thing really works for him. Me, I love cooking and good food. Every so often I get an idea from this group of talented young chefs who are competing for big money and honors galore.

The winner for this season was Hung. Not the fan favorite, but he won fair and square. In his bio, he says if he were a food "I would be spicy chili - it takes a while to get used to, but once you eat it you always come back for more!" With that in mind, here is this week’s Friday Five"



1. If you were a food, what would you be?

I would be Thanksgiving cornbread/sausage stuffing. My recipe includes sweetened dried cranberries, toasted pecans, celery, onion and secret herbs. Yum yum. I make a lot of it. Because I eat a lot of it. And therefore a lot of me is likely thereafter a lot of it.

2. What is one of the most memorable meals you ever had? And where?

Three come to mind. One is a dinner made by a former beau of Cornish Game Hens with, of course, butter soaked herbed stuffing. The whole meal was amazing. Home made bread. Salad. And I made an apple tarte tatin as dessert! The second was at a favorite restaurant in Pasadena, of Apple Cider whiskey sauced, and of course stuffed, pork chop. All the bites, first to last, were tickets to heaven. And then one I made from a Julia Child recipe for chicken crepes with a cheese/wine sauce. Goodness that woman could cook!

3. What is your favorite comfort food from childhood?

My mom used to make a Velveeta/mushroom soup form of rarebit for lunch. With black olives on the side. I'd stick an olive on each finger, pop them in and then eat the smooth cheesy goodness on toast. And then there was french fry night, where we had tempura veggies, potatoes and such for supper. And on Thanksgiving mom would make this sweet potato/orange/marshmallow side dish that was worth waiting a year for.

4. When going to a church potluck, what one recipe from your kitchen is sure to be a hit?

Dadgummit my church does NOT have potluck dinners. I have tried and tried to talk them into this. But it's La De Dah Canada and all the fancy wimmins there apparently do not cook. If we did have potlucks, I would make my Died and Gone to Heaven Lasagna.

5. What’s the strangest thing you ever willingly ate?

I am not one to try octopus or sea urchin or even sweetbreads. It's a big coward I am with that. The most bizarre combination, that I will still eat today, is a peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich.

Bonus question: What’s your favorite drink to order when looking forward to a great meal?

A kir royale. Maybe two or five. (Champagne with creme de cassis. Though I also like it with Chambord)

25 comments:

1-4 Grace said...

Oh my. Folks don't know what they are misisng with potlucks.
They are so fun. You eat good, felowhsip, and cleanup is realitvely easy when everyone pitches in to help.

Sally said...

That Lasagne looks good...as for strange foods- sea urchin has to be right up there. Great play

RevHRod said...

I want some stuffing!
Thanks for the nice words and the great play!

jill said...

mmm...it's friday, so 2-5 kir royales sound perfect!

Quotidian Grace said...

Me and my girls also love Kir Royales.

Any chance you'd share that lasagne recipe?

SpiritMists said...

A few years ago when I was living in Washington, D.C. there was an exhibit on Julia Child. They actually transferred her whole kitchen and there were continuously running videos of her shows. Fabulous!

SpookyRach said...

What the hell is a Kir Royale?

The Mollinator said...

Pickles and peanut butter sounds very Elvis to me!

Melissa said...

Your Thanksgiving stuffing sounds delicious.....

Muthah+ said...

It's un Amerikun not to have church potluck---uhh I guess it is un Canadian to have them. Who would have thunk? Come on down, PG. We will make some room at our pork dinner tomorrow night

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

No potlucks? Now unAmerican!

I have got to start eating better.

Rev Kim said...

Ooh, I would love me some of that to die for lasagna!

No potlucks? Isn't that the fourth mark of the church or something? hee hee.

Elane said...

Kir royale: sparkling wine (supposed to be Champagne but why muck with it) and creme de cassis -- black currant liqueur).

I actually don't like Thanksgiving food -- call me unamerican -- but I'll drink bubbly with you anytime!

leah sophia said...

the lasagna sounds great, and JULIA LIVES! how wonderful! however, it looks as if you need to start attending my church(es), since we have wonderful potlucks, including one this evening (and do I dare mention presbyterian bingo..)?

Barbara B. said...

Love the Julia Child picture. Is she dancing with that bird?

Presbyterian Gal said...

Muthah: I'm not in Canada. The town my church is in is La Canada, next to Pasadena and Glendale. If I was in Canada, we'd probably have the proper number of pot lucks!

Leah Sophia: Presbyterian bingo? Does it involve committee meetings before announcing the squares?

Barbara B: That's one of my favorites. I believe they are doing the polka!

Thanks for visiting everybody! kir royales, lasagne and Thanksgiving stuffing at my place!

Wyldth1ng said...

I have found most Chambord most favorable with many additives, I haven't tried champage though, it must be good!

mompriest said...

I forgot all about kir royale's. My mother and I used to drink them together, but that was a long time ago...

your favorite meals sound just fab, yum!

Kievas said...

octopus 9and squid) isn't bad if it's cooked right. Lasagne sounds good, though.

Marsha said...

do you share your "Died and Gone to Heaven" lasagna recipe? **hint hint**

leah sophia said...

well, pg, in the beginning the very idea of presbyterian bingo freaked me out so i didn't attend the very 1st innings, but soon caught on, especially since i won 3 prizes my first time (i actually attended for the bingo-affiliated potluck)! almost too funny and yes, heavily committee-influenced in every imaginable manner, but kinda loosey-goosey in terms of calling the coordinates.

Songbird said...

I haven't had a Kir Royale in years, makes me think of my late mother-in-law. What an elegant drink!

redheadrev said...

When we have potlucks, everyone has to know what everyone else is bring to make sure there will be enough. It's a potluck! If everyone brings a dish large enough to feed their family, there will be enough to go around! Why is that such a difficult concept!

Can you tell I totally feel for you, but at least we still have them (sometimes). They are kind of lazy, too. Think its too much cleanup.

zorra said...

When we attended LDDCPC, our little group used to have our own little potlucks. Fond memories. Come to think of it,you're right, I don't remember ever having an all-church potluck there. Too bad!

That picture of Julia and the duck-I'm guessing it's a duck, it's shaped more like a duck than a chicken-is priceless.

Diane said...

I definitely want to come to your house for thanksgiving

and please bring your died and gone to heaven lasagne to our next church pot luck here in Minnesota.

(it's not too far, really)

and, re the octopus, it really felt different after going to the fish market and seeing the tentacles...