Tuesday, October 02, 2007

HOMEBOY INDUSTRIES

Today is the Grand Opening of Homeboy Bakery/Homegirl Cafe after a fire in 1999 burned down the original building.

A Jesuit priest, Father Gregory J. Boyle, founded Homeboy Industries. He said "Nothing stops a bullet like a job".

In the bakery, rival gang members are working side by side to make bread.

May God bless this profoundly positive mission of peace in my city. And may blessings of success rain down on their endeavors. And I'll just bet the bread is really good too. Gotta go and taste me some.

6 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

just missed you at my place - i was posting - you were posting. anyhoo glad to know some folks aren't caught up in the silly trappings the church creates labels "minsitry" but that some folks are actually out there being the hands & feet of Jesus. God bless them...

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That is so awesome! See, there are still really good people out there that want to make s difference.

Rowan The Dog said...

Great story Presbyterian gal. I'm glad you posted.
Lindy

David G. said...

I believe I saw a program on MSNBC this past weekend about L.A.Gangs, and Homeboy Industries was featured in it.
The cops don't agree with it ...but who gives a flying fish what the cops think.

MayB MayB Not said...

I remember Homeboy Industries ... Hollenbeck Area, right? Sure would like to have some of that bread.

Mother Laura said...

Thanks for posting this good news. Greg Boyle is, I believe, a brother alumnus of my Jesuit college. And when I was home on break then I loved to worship at Dolores Mission....