Friday, November 16, 2007

FRIDAY FIVE - Think About These Things

Songbird quotes and writes today:

"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, NRSV)

Friends, it's nearly Thanksgiving in the U.S. and it's the time of year when we are pressed to name things for which we are thankful. I want to offer a twist on the usual lists and use Paul's letter to the church at Philippi as a model. Name five things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. These could be people, organizations, acts, ideas, works of art, pieces of music--whatever comes to mind for you."

1. Motherhood and my mother and all my most excellent friends who are mothers. (UPDATE: Picture is by artist: Essud Fungcap)

2. Yoga and those who teach it.

3. Live theater and performance arts like Cirque Du Soleil, Broadway and most especially those who work to create it locally for the children, like our local Parson's Nose.

No, seriously. New discoveries are so cool.  Along with new discoveries in cosmology and archaeology, it's affirming the Bible rather than disproving it. And this guy is really easy to read.

5. Anyone who creates or works in mission to help the less blessed, the disenfranchised, the poor, the hungry and the sick. And my guiding light of inspiration for this said: 

The Prayer of Saint Francis

"O Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light, and
Where there is sorrow, joy.
Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not
so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand; to be loved
as to love; for it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life."

Yup, so all of the above, taken with a really good latte or cup of coffee and laced with large amounts of all kinds of humor, and well, golly, there you go! Oh yeah, and Thanksgiving stuffing. Ummmmm. I cannot wait!

7 comments:

Sally said...

what a great list- I just wish my yoga was so elegant!
love the motherhood picture who is it by?

Songbird said...

My resident physicist disagrees, but I don't see how!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

i've long wanted to preach a sermon on string theory... b/c it is soooo the body of christ.

beyond that... motherhood, yoga, theater you are one on-the-go gal better grab yourself a double shot.

Singing Owl said...

This was the most unique list I've read. And I LOVE the picture.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I wish I had some place to really learn yoga.

Very good list.

Kievas said...

Cosmology and quantum physics...reading the mind of God. I'll have to check out the Schroeder book. And combined with St. Francis...great list!

Wyldth1ng said...

Nifty.