Thursday, November 01, 2007

WITH NO WARNING, IT JUST SLAPS YOU IN THE FACE

Do you ever sometimes think of statistics? Not in a formal sense really. More like, 1 out of 200 children you know will get cancer. I hope it's not mine. Or, 1 out of 500 parents you know will die while their children are still young. I hope it's not me. Like that? Being equally "brained" in math, I do.

So I'm sitting in the waiting hall while my mom has her first session of physical therapy, and I'm reading a local newspaper. I had written a satirically scathing letter to the Opinion page that was published last week and was looking for the rebuttal. No rebuttal. So I scanned the various articles of local interest.

I turned a page and saw a very nice picture of the husband of a friend of ours from Gymboree and My Gym and sporadic playdates over the years. The last time I saw him was with his son, Wonderboy's age, at baseball last spring. Of course he was a coach, because he was a huge baseball fan.

Then, shocked to the core, I saw over his picture the word, "Obituary".

The beautiful tribute written did not say how he passed. Only the sweet highlights of his all too brief 41 years.

This is the third parent we've known who has died in the last 4 years. The first was a mom who died of cancer in her early forties, leaving two small children. The second was last year, just before my dad passed. Morrie was killed when a young couple hit his car, causing it to fly and flip over the median to the other side of the freeway where an oncoming semi slammed into him, causing his car to burst into flames. He left four children, the fourth born the day he died.

There was a fourth. A dad of Wonderboy's school chum was killed in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago. But we didn't know him, even though that was a close connection.

Now Sam. Who leaves two sons. Both with the same birthday, two years apart. And his lovely wife.

These are too many. Statistically and personally speaking.

Job 14:2 He springs up like a flower and withers away;
like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure.

7 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That is so sad. We just never know.

Sue said...

You're right. That's too many.

zorra said...

So very sad. This was brought home to us this week when we attended the funeral of a dear former next-door neighbor. He was born one day after I was. And now he's gone. So hard to realize.

Wyldth1ng said...

So are saying statistically I should not be friends with you if I am a parent? I hope not.

I understand what you said, I am just using your post against you because stats will say whatever the person taking them wants it to say. So try to look at the bright side.

Diane said...

sad story.
statistically though, maybe that's it. for you. and your friends.
hope so, anyway.
prayers.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Wyldth1ng:

I'm just saying that I'm sad my friends are dead this way, with their children so young and that there are too many of them in this condition. Which gets me counting.

One would be too many as well.

Some days the glass is half full. And some days the glass is too big.

Jan said...

Sad. True. It's what's happening.