Friday, February 01, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE - Options Options Edition

From Sally this week, who will donate £1.00 for every comment on her post to the Methodist Relief and Development Fund.  So go over there right after here to read and comment!!

Sally writes:
There is so much going on this weekend that I thought I'd provide an options Friday 5!!!!
First Superbowl ( someone explain to this Brit the significance)- love it or hate it?
5 reasons please!!!!!
Second Candlemas/ Imbloc/ Groundhog day/ St Brigid's day- all of these fall on either the 1st or 2nd February.


1. Do you celebrate one or more of these?

I do not do any of it. Not Superbowl. Not Candlemas, first or second. Not Imbloc (I do not even know what Imbloc is.....it sounds a bit like a gastrointestinal issue??). Not St. Brigid's day or even any other Saints day. Nope. Just a stick in the mud protestant. And a boring non-football follower.

2. How?

See #1 above. Plus I have a note from my mom excusing me from this one question.

3. Is this a bit of fun or deeply significant?

Answering these questions is fun. And RGBP Friday Five is always significant. I will find more fun and significance as I read other folks' answers and learn more about the Saints.

4. Are festivals/ Saints days important to you?

I cannot say that they are. Though once, while in New York, walking in Little Italy, I enjoyed the festivities of the festival of St. Anthony. Though it took me awhile to understand what it was, because I only heard the "Festival of St. Antny". Correction: I now remember it is called "The Feast of St. Antny....er um uh, Anthony". 

5.Name your favourite Saints day/ celebration.

Now, while I do not celebrate Saints days, I will share two Saints who I have always admired.

Well actually with St. Francis of Assisi I have more than admiration. He left a  very comfortable, privileged life to help the poor. His ministry expanded to restoring churches, after a vision of Jesus. His legend tells of his sermons to animals and his gentle care for them.  I watched  Fratello Sole, Sorella Luna (aka "Brother Sun, Sister Moon") at least 8 times in the theater after it was released. Now I own a copy.  He was a profound influence on my faith, and his life continues to inspire me. 


I also love St. Bernadette because when she was a young girl, completely unworldly, not educated, living in a time when such young girls were never given any mind, she had her visions. She followed the instructions in the visions, against strong opposition. She had faith that they were true and she had confidence in herself to believe what they said. And she did not waver. Even though what she was experiencing was completely out of the norm for her family and town. She stuck to it, l'il Bernadette did, and made miracles for herself and others. And when she died, she did not decompose, or "corrupt" as they said in her day. Just look at that picture. Over 130 and she's still gorgeous! Update: In case you think it's from a movie, this picture of St. Bernadette......it's the real St. Bernadette, picture taken recently. When she was laid to rest her body was not embalmed or treated in any way. Amazing!!

10 comments:

Counselor in Process said...

The St. Anthony feast is quite an event. I walked through it by accident, not by design. Though I always buy a little bag of those fried donuts when I do, yum, so bad for you,
I love St. Bernadette, too.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am going to have to change your ways about the Super Bowl with a boy in the house!!!

Go back and read my previous years entries about how Bebo and I rock it on Super Bowl.

Sally said...

St Bernadette's story is a beautiful and challenging one- thank you for playing :-)

zorra said...

I loved "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" in high school. Thanks to the wonder of Netflix, I recently enjoyed it again for the first time in (mumble) years.

The story of Francis and the wolf of Gubbio is one of my favorites.

P.S. I didn't tag anyone, but I think you would have fun with the meme I just posted.

Kievas said...

I find St. Francis inspiring, too. If you haven't already, check out the movie Brother Sun, Sister Moon.

Diane said...

going to have to see the St. Bernadette movie.

great play, as always.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

wow didn't know about st. bernadette... amazing indeed!

Barbara B. said...

I'm in the dark on "Imbloc" too -- your definition sounds reasonable to me! :)

Quotidian Grace said...

I so identified with your answers, fellow boring hard-core Protestant that I am!

And the thing about the Super Bowl as well.

chartreuseova said...

My two favorite Saints too. I love the movies. I've only seen Brother Sun, Sister Moon once and that was last year, but I watch Song of Bernadette over & over every chance I get.