Friday, April 11, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE: Moving

From Mother Laura this week:
"We are right in the middle of a move--only twenty minutes away, but we're still a mix of busy, excited, nervous and surprisingly full of grief about what we're leaving, for me at least. So this week's Friday Five asks about your experience of the marvels and madness of moving..."

1. How many times have you moved? When was the last time?

Oh geeze. Now I have to count and I hope I have enough fingers and toes:
~Home to Covenant Player vans to live in while on tour.
~Home to first marriage apartment
~Back to home after divorce and between more tours
~To first single North Hollywood apartment ***SEE BELOW
~To Marina del Rey Apartment with roommate and stories to tell
~To 3 different Tarzana Apartments, with more bizarre stories of roommates
~Back to home to pay off credit card debt
~To rented condo to live in sin with boyfriend
~To second North Hollywood apartment after breakup
~To third North Hollywood apartment with Eiffel Tower on front
~To rented Sherman Oaks condo owned by girl whose boyfriend, her dad, bought for her as first investment(ick)
~To fourth North Hollywood apartment without gang fights in parking lot
~To first purchased house from second marriage
~To apartment because of lawsuit from hell from our neighbor, Satan's idjit cousin
~To second purchsed house, to await arrival of Wonderboy.

That makes seventeen and I have some toes left! And I have not yet moved for the last time. I suspect there's a couple more ahead. **CORRECTION: How could I forget the Moorpark Tropicana in between first NoHo and Marina del Rey! Some of the best stories are from there, including the neighbor who, because the walls were soooo thin, threw out his alarm clock and woke up to mine. That makes 18.

2. What do you love and hate about moving?

Love: The high energy of it. Getting to know the movers. Making everybody laugh. Overtipping the movers when they bust ass for me. When everything is unpacked and fresh and the cupboards are nicely organized for the 10 minutes that will last.

Hate: Packing. Unpacking. Getting rid of boxes. And the need for deep tissue rehabilitation afterward.

3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?

Both: Move valuables and important papers myself. Hire packers and movers for the replaceables.

4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?

First: The three major food groups of moving: Pizza, donuts, caffeine
Second: The three major food groups after all moved in: wine, brandy, takeout
Third: Always pack EVERYTHING. Do NOT throw anything away until you've moved in, because what you throw away will be EXACTLY what you need when you get there.

5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?

Now, Mother Laura, you're making me think about this. I am moving on so many different levels: I move with the earth as it rotates around the sun, I move with the solar system as it....yada yada, like that; I move through my life as I age. I am moving out of middle age to upper middle age, while miraculously retaining my immaturity (Ha!); Always moving. This is why changing residences is not that upsetting to me. Perhaps I am part chameleon. Or just a typical Gemini.

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what moving means to you.


6 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, now this is funny. I actually THOUGHT of another Rascal Flatts song - "I'm Moving ON"

LOL...

And I am impressed that you could think of all of those places. It took me a while too.

:)
d

Sally said...

You have made me smile... that is one whole lot of moving though...

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

so... uhm do you jam at out home to rascall flatts whilst doing mounds of laundry? mmm yes i can pitcure it now...

we did give opposites! but has hubhc will tell you he's the "saver" and i "pitch. pitch. pitch." sometimes without asking him. ooops!

Barbara B. said...

Pizza, donuts, and caffeine: indeed those are the 3 major food groups of moving.

PG, it would be a crime if you don't write your life story.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

hey... mindy's got a swap going... hee hee

Kievas said...

This was fun to read :)