Friday, June 06, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE - Taking in the View


From Sally this week:

"This week I took some time out to stop and walk and take in the view; my son Chris is studying in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, too often we simply drive up there, turn around and come home! This time Tim and I took time out to take in the view. It occurs to me that we need to do that more in life...."



With that in mind I offer you this weeks Friday Five:


1. How important is the "big picture" to you, do you need a glimpse of the possibilities or are you a details person?

I need both. I am an unrepentant question person. And I am not happy until I run out of questions and they have been answered satisfactorally. I am relentless in pursuit of as many details as possible to fill in the hows, whys and wherefores of the big picture. That's where the magic happens for me: the cross pollinating and the "coincidences" between different "big pictures" that further outline an even bigger picture still. This happens for me with faith and science. And most especially with various, seemingly unrelated groups of people.

2. If the big picture is important to you how do you hold onto it in the nitty gritty details of life?

I am right brained and left brained. And often argue with myself. But always look at both. At the same time. Yet I still have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. Go figure.

3. Name a book, poem, psalm, piece of music that transports to to another dimension ( one....what am I thinking....)

Some, but not all:
Movie soundtracks:





Music:



Books:




4.Thinking of physical views, is there somewhere that inspires you, somewhere that you breathe more easily?

Descanso Gardens:





5. A picture opportunity... post one if you can ( or a link to one!)


7 comments:

FranIAm said...

You are giving me Descanso Gardens gifts all week here!

I love that.

Presbyterian Gal said...

My pleasure Fran! You come out this way and we'll take you over for a train ride and a lovely stroll!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

So I take it that Descanso Gardens is in California? It looks fabulous.

And I love the whale photo. What a great way to end a post.

Cathy said...

Wonderful whale photo. I really like your answer to number 1 - that makes perfect sense.

EmJayDee said...

I echo number one as well. Is it a Presbyterian thing????? No just a Presy coincidence I expect. (And in this new country I'm Uniting Church anyway - I do miss the presbyterian influence which seems missing in NSW). Brother Son Sister Moon a very improtant movie for me developmentally. Thanks for the reminder.

Jayne said...

I'm right there with you on the questioning bit. Oh..and the right & left brained bit. It gets confusing sometimes, doesn't it?

Barbara B. said...

I like your thoughts on the 'big picture'!