Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A GAS QUESTION



This week I received a letter in the mail from Wonderboy's camp. Because their vans pick up most of the children from home and take them to camp for the day, then bring them home in the afternoon, the owners are asking us to pay a voluntary gas surcharge.

Now, it is absolutely not a lot of money. And I am more than happy to pay it, because the camp owners did not, in their wildest imaginings, plan for gas to go up the way it has. And they were so nice the way they asked, and made it voluntary.

But it started me wondering. There are going to be gas surcharges on everything. Food prices (which curiously went up BEFORE the gas did), store products trucked in, airfares. In fact the only thing perhaps not going to be surcharged will be beans. And that is gas that will not get us anywhere.

I'm wondering now. Who do I charge for my gas surcharge? Should I attach a percentage premium to deduct from Wonderboy's allowance for driving him to school and activities? Maybe a Mom Surcharge for when I take my mom to various appointments and places.

And shouldn't we get some kind of government credit for doing more shopping on the internet?

I know the IRS is increasing the mileage allowance. But what about those of us who don't have an employer to charge mileage to? Shouldn't we be able to submit mileage deductions for taking care of family business? Seems right to me!

I do know one thing. If thems that's tryin' get their way and drill off California and in Anwar, gas prices will NOT go down. But the huge profits will just change direction and go into the pockets of about 5 Americans who don't need it, instead of to the foreign companies. And the push to alternative sources will be stillborn.

UPDATE: Here's just another question that occurred to me as I was changing my quote widget: Just how much more money do you think the various government agencies are collecting now from the taxes on the sky high gas prices? Instead of rolling back the gas taxes (which I don't think would reduce the price at all), why not just excuse state income tax for a year and cut the federal tax rate in half? Then I could restore my pedicure budget!

13 comments:

Rev SS said...

You are so right on this (unfortunately)

Barbara B. said...

GRRRRRR and ARRRGH!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Absolutely right. But...

Singing Owl said...

NO KIDDING! Makes me fume.

And it also makes me worried, becuase our income is stretched to the point where some serious adjustment will have to be made, and I don't know where to make it. I went to the grocery store and purchased two bags (small plastic, not larger paper) and paid nearly 50 dollars! And I'm not buying fancy stuff.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Too true.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

the photo brought lots of laughter... but yes indeedy it's a big dilema on all fronts... and i have zip ideas on what will help.

cheesehead said...

Yup. Sad but true.

FranIAm said...

As someone who used to submit mileage charges for expenses, I can tell you that the .58 a mile they have just put out, will not net anyone the money spent for gas!

You pose a good question... one to which there is not a good answer.

I am headed out your way for a vacation this summer and am dreading gassing up our already overpriced rental car.

I will be in Los Feliz/Silverlake area, not sure what scheduling will be like with the family, but maybe we can meet for coffee if you wish!

Jan said...

Too true. More and more dismal.

Kievas said...

You're right about the drilling...we need to decrease our dependence on oil, not just make more available.

Strictly speaking, the beans *could* be a useful energy source--natural gas, biofuels, etc.

Kat said...

Try checking out the Drive $marter Challenge (www.drivesmarterchallenge.org). You can enter your specific vehicle data and figure out how much money you can save my taking six fuel-efficiency steps. They also provide other fuel-efficiency tips to help you save on gas costs.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

re: shovels... took it down cuz i thought "uh huh too personal". but glad you appreciated the post!

David G. said...

We don't have State income tax here in Florida, we just pay in other annoying ways called impact fees, which is supposed to be mostly for newcomers.

I do have a feeling that is King George hadn't invaded Iraq, we wouldn't be having these conversations.