Friday, June 27, 2008

HELPING THE PLANET A TEENSY BIT

Please bear with me. I am just a beginner at this.

Since I went all eco awhile back on the disaster of plastic and plastic trash wreaking havoc on our sweet planet, I have set out to try to follow my own new mantra: Make a difference, one choice at a time.

And I have found that it is really really hard to do.

We are surrounded, bathed, saturated in petroleum products and plastic. From the computer I now type on to the cell phone I use to the summer dishes to the medicines in my medicine cabinet to the fertilizer that grows the food I eat. Even going through Whole Foods - plastic everywhere.

Instead of wallowing in despair I have made the following efforts:

Instead of buying a case of this for the car:



I bought some of these:



and while they tend to spill, we can live with that till we figure it out.

Then I found this at the store for under $8. It is plastic, but it is reusable. And came with packets of Koolaid and coupons. This will work in the car while the thermos cups we can use in the house.














And I've switched from this:




To these, shaken up in reusable cups



And for camp, instead of a plastic water bottle, Wonderboy takes this on his back:



I realize that except for the thermos cups, it's a swap of plastic for plastic. But it is different in that what I use now is the kind that doesn't leach into the body; doesn't degrade as quickly and is reusable; and is completely recyclable.

And I figure that I have, since last April, not bought about 3 cases of ocean destroying plastic water bottles, and this covered the cost of the new drinking cups. While I still have to use bottled water in these items (my city's water has Chromium 6 in it that they're not yet filtering out, and they're still busy discussing if they should get rid of it in committee for the umpteenth year), that water, at least, comes in recyclable bottles with a deposit. And won't end up in the ocean.

I will try to do even more. And I'll share what I find. If you have good ideas too, please leave them in the comments.

5 comments:

Barbara B. said...

Klean Kanteen stainless steel water bottles are good...

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Yes, we do have an obligation to help in any way we can the planet. But the most important thing is our commitment towards this goal. Very good post.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's easy to feel overwhelmed, isn't it? I think the idea of one choice at a time is a good one--and then trying to stave off the jackal voices in our head that it won't make any difference.

FranIAm said...

This has been one of my favorite purchases of the year.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Barb and Fran: Thanks for the tips!