Monday, August 04, 2008

FLOATIN' ABOUT IN THE "IN BETWEEN"

Now for many reasons Wonderboy and I do not have a church home for worship on Sunday.

Instead we pickup my mom and go out to breakfast and enjoy each other's company. As well as Wonderboy enjoying his pancake pileup.

We missed communion yesterday. That made me sad.

Right now I am too tired to go church hunting. Wonderboy wants to stay with his former choir with Janet and Judy. We'll do that. And for next year that will likely be all the church we get.

I for one, not only feel but also believe that our presence at the former church was not only unwelcome, but personally rejected. For many reasons. Perhaps this was not the intention of anyone there. But it was the action(s) or actually non-action, and it was the result. I suspect there are others there who have left who experienced the same. Be that as it may, it still feels personal. And it grew to feel personal to Wonderboy. When he said, "I am so bored of listening to (the head pastor) begging for money and trying to make it about God", that sealed it.

I tried to volunteer. Was rejected and blown off, quite rudely. I asked for help and was rejected and blown off, again rudely. Those are just two examples. I can deal with these things, but for my son to see that this is acceptable treatment of his mother in a purported house of God is, frankly, absolutely unacceptable. And vile.

My church is now with you all. I have had better fellowship, Bible Study and support here than any from this church. As well as opportunities to serve.

I'll do my best to give him some kind of Bible study at home. But for now, we are "tweeners". The last church I tried never called after I filled out the "friendship cards". Three times.

There is too much on my plate now to go looking. My cup runneth amok, as it were.

If it is meant for us to be at another church I believe God will point the way and clear the currently bramble filled path.

20 comments:

Purechristianithink said...

Well-come on over and visit us. It wouldn't be shopping if you were just visiting a blogging buddy, yes?

Rev Kim said...

And if you go on vacation to Wyoming, that wouldn't be shopping either, would it? And we're only four hours hours and a beautiful drive from Grand Teton & Yellowstone.

I'm so sorry.

(((PG)))

Diane said...

...and if you ever visit Minnesota you know you're always welcome here, too!

in the meantime, anything we can do... ((PG))

Mary Beth said...

Oh, man. Church often sucks, while God is cool. Too bad churches think they own God.

You got the facts: they don't.

Come see me! It's not far to Texas (well, it is, but come see me anyway...)

Presbyterian Gal said...

You guys prove that God lives in us, and church is not those building thingies or institutions.

PCIT, it's overdue time for a visit. Gonna check out your service times. I'll let you know when we're coming.

Quotidian Grace said...

There you go, PG! Enjoy your visit with PCIT's church.

I've been there in the wilderness with you, just a couple of years ago. In the "fullness of time", God will indeed nudge you along the path to the congregation intended for you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

the brambles will fade and the path will be transformed... i know this to be true for you! sad that things are such as this though...

but you know in boonieville i serve 2 churches... and both would welcome you warmly! fondly! and maybe boot me outta the pulpit once in awhile so you could get up and do amazing dramas and tell stories...

mompriest said...

Oh, PBG and Wonderboy...so sorry...enjoy some time off, let the spirit speak...and maybe PCIT's church will be fun to visit and maybe a new home?

FranIAm said...

You will find your way- I know your heart is SO in the right place on this matter.

Deep sigh and many prayers.

Jan said...

I loved Fran's description of you over at her blog.

This is a hard time, but God is with you. I wish you could go over to my friend's Presbyterian church that she loves. But I'm not sure where it is; just know she lives in Sunnyvale.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm sorry that they were so stupid as to not welcome you. I hope God will will lead you to a friendly, warm church.

Reformed Catholic said...

And they're probably wondering why they're losing members and/or not attracting any new ones.

Don't tell me ... the Session is so inbred, that the same people have been on it for years, with the one year break just to pay homage to the BOO.

dust bunny said...

If I actually had a church, I'd LOVE to share it with you and WB. :)

Brittany said...

Wonderboy is very insightful...and you are a good momma. Sighing heavily for you and for the church you are leaving.

Barbara B. said...

Sigh. Being presently dechurched myself, I get it.

Red_Cleric said...

Portland is a fair piece up the West Coast for you but if your in our neck of the woods drop in. I have a hunch that you and Wonderboy will be okay.

I have a pretty good idea of the stuff you've been through. I've seen it from the pulpit as well as experienced in the pew.

Be at peace and enjoy the time of reflection
Alan

zorra said...

I am so, so sorry. It's awful.
All I can say is (o).
But I do look forward to hearing about your visit to PCIT's church!

tracy said...

I have not attended church in 2 years; for some of the same reasons you mentioned here. The thing is, it is so difficult for me to search for a new place to be. I am so positive that the church is within us, that I'm unsure as to whether I need to find another building or not. I often feel guilty about not going, but it's where I am at present. Bless you in your endeavor to teach your son the right way to be. I think you're hitting the old nail right on the head :)

Deb said...

Geez Louise...
I'm sorry it's been so sucky. Such a cautionary moment to me - to be welcoming and encouraging of those we need and/or can help. And not to forget that it's a human thang...

d

Lorraine said...

I wish you lived in Northern Virginia. You'd be welcome at my little church. :) -- well, your church is out there somewhere. I hope you find it soon.