Thursday, September 11, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE: BACK TO SCHOOL




Mother Laura writes this week: "It's time for a Back-To-School Friday Five!"

1. Is anyone going back to school, as a student or teacher, at your house? How's it going so far?


Wonderboy started his new school September 4th. He is loving it! He comes home happy and excited and gets his homework done all by himself. Well, since the teacher actually teaches him the material *ahem* unlike last year, it makes all the diff! 

The extra driving and starting 1/2 hour early, however, has shrunk my day to the size of a pea.

2. Were you glad or sad when back-to-school time came as a kid?

I was never glad to go back to school.  I loved getting the new clothes and the school supplies.  But *did*not*like*school. It bored me to tears.

3. Did your family of origin have any rituals to mark this time of year? How about now?

Twice a year, August and December, before each new semester, my mom took me shopping for my school clothes. I got to pick out whatever I wanted to wear. She never said a word, God bless her, because I know it must have been hard.  When I was in junior and senior high, she would take me to the  grown up store, called Mickey Fine's. These are special memories I have with my mom. I even remember some of the sharp looking outfits I picked out there.

4. Favorite memories of back-to-school outfits, lunchboxes, etc?
I liked to buy mix and match skirts and tops outfits. I remember one navy blue straight skirt that had a sleeveless matching top with red piping. I outgrew the top (not the way you'd think.....I come from a long line of lady linebackers with built in shoulder pads), but the skirt fit like a glove and I wore it for two years. 

The only lunchbox I remember was a red plaid lunchbox (that looked exactly like this one from Google Images)




that I think I had in first grade. I can still remember how the bologna sandwiches smelled when I took them out (before the days of those little freezer cooler thingies). I'm amazed now that we never got sick from half day warmed mayo. And the thermos! Sometimes my mom would surprise me with chocolate milk!  Lunch was my favorite class!

5. What was your best year of school?

School didn't work so well for me. I was skipped twice and even then was bored and under-challenged. When I finally found Drama and Play Production things perked up a little. But the teachers picked such lame plays.   In Junior High I was hell on wheels for my mom. I've since apologized.  And now understand all the reasons it went the way it did.  In my 2-1/2 years of High School I had far more fun after school than during. And still graduated with honors in the top 10 percent! Almost never did homework. Did it all during class. 

15 comments:

Certified Healing Coach said...

Oh, wow! You got to go shopping for new school clothes twice a year???

I would have envied you terribly!

"PS" (a.k.a. purple) said...

What great memories of shopping with your mom.

EmJayDee said...

Those memories sound good to me too. And that lunch box is to die for!

Sally said...

clothes shopping was never a matter of choice here in the UK we always had uniform.

My kids loved school clothes shopping in Texas, then we were back to the UK nad back to uniform- much easier on the budget in so many ways!

Beach Walkin said...

I HAD THAT LUNCH BOX!!!! I LOVED THAT LUNCH BOX!!!!

Maybe it was the lunch box that helped us do good in school... hhhmmmmhhh....

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad WB is liking school. And that's a very cool lunchbox.

Purechristianithink said...

The teachers probably picked lame plays because the un-lame ones were too controversial.

SpiritMists said...

That red plaid lunch box is tooooo cute. I love it.

Diane said...

we always bought the school lunch, or used a brown bag, so I will say I totally envy you that plaid lunch box. It's sooooo cool.

Jan said...

I've never known anyone else who skipped a grade. TWO grades! WOW! Must have something to do with schools in CA--while living near Oceanside, I skipped 4th grade.

The red plaid lunchbox with matching thermos, I bet, was cool.

Mother Laura said...

What a wonderful memory of time with your mom--I felt close to mine then too.

Julie said...

Great play! God bless your mother, indeed. It's hard not to say anything. My daughter likes to dress like Pippi Longstocking but I just think that right now there are more important things I need to stand my ground on than whether or not she mixes stripes with plaids!

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play, you reminded me of how awful first grade was because I could already read...but there was no provision for that so I had to sit in reading group listening to all the other kids stumbling through Dick and Jane. Things got better later on though.

Cathy said...

That's the lunchbox I had. Only it was 2nd grade for me. And the thermos broke the first day. :(

Anonymous said...

I was bored, too...I had good teachers, tho, who grouped the 'bored' kids together to do interesting projects...

I bought milk(3 cents a carton, later 5 cents)and brought my lunch in a brown paper lunch bag. I folded the empty lunch bag each day and used it all week. On very cold days I bought a hot lunch.