Monday, September 01, 2008

OBVIOUS vs OBLIVIOUS

Issues

Lack of vetting (thank you Cathy), with, among other questions,  a cloud of investigation on ethics after a campaign based on ethics. 

Lack of experience


13 years of "elected experience" consisting of 1.5 years as Governor of Alaska, 6 years as Mayor of Wasilla AK with a population less than 8,000 during which she fired the police chief for not supporting her political campaign, before that 4 years on the city council of Wasilla.

No doubt she's a "go-getter". No doubt she's ambitious. Nothing wrong with those two things. It's just all the other things that don't add up.

7 comments:

Kievas said...

Interesting perspective. I read another post by a fellow blogger in Alaska, and people there seem to be raving about McCain's pick.

I can think of many reasons why he picked Palin, but none of them make me think better of him.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Kievas:
I read a number of pro-Palin blogs and stories last night. None of them adequately addressed the shortcomings I listed here. The rhapsodic support was based on the personal as some of the more vitriolic criticism of her. And now the news of her teenaged daughter's pregnancy and the allegation the Trig is her grandson is not going to help. I feel for her family. This will get ugly for them.

It was a reckless choice by McCain. I'm an independent who had issues with both candidates. Now I have more issues against McCain.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I don't think all the sh*t has hit the fan on this one yet.

FranIAm said...

I am not sure because I have never been there and do not pretend to understand the culture, but I am thinking there is a certain separatist pride for and about Alaskans, which changes how they look at her.

Did you know that the Wikipedia entry had just been updated and changed by someone called "Young Trig" and that that person has since taken off. I can't find the link to that - someone sent it to me. Interesting indeed.

Cynthia said...

One news report last night had the repubs touting her executive experience as including, and I kid you not, her presidency of the PTA.

I was president of the Parish Council and the Enlisted Spouses Club. Do I qualify as an executive for my resume?

I want to hear way more about the ethics questions.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Cynthia - I am surprised that the ethics issues seem to be drowned out by the personal issues, which have no place here. Or, maybe that's the idea.

Jan said...

I think she's too ambitious.