Thursday, October 16, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE - COIN TOSS EDITION



From Songbird this week:

"Well, Gals and Pals, this weekend we'll be rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and that has me thinking about coinage."

Thank you Songbird!!  I must say that I do enjoy coins. There is something substantially satisfying about the heft and jingle of coinage. It's accountant's bling. And shiny new coins a'jingling are as fun as Christmas presents! I have faux gold coin earrings and I used to have a favorite belt that was made of faux gold coins. And you can learn a lot about history and politics from the  study of ancient coins!

1) When was the last time you flipped a coin or even saw one flipped in person?


It was sometime in the last couple weeks. I love quarters. They are just the perfect flippable weight. When I pick one up I like to flip it. Especially if it's one I found on the ground! 




2) Do you have any foreign coins in your house? If so, where are they from?

I have old French coins around from the days before the Euro, when I traveled to Paris on business. Plus a couple Canadian coins that snuck in over my wallet border from some store's cash register. And coins from South of the border. Somewhere. Plus some really cool ancient Roman coins from my dad. D'ya think Caesar's gonna want them back?





3) A penny saved is a penny earned, they say. But let's get serious. Is there a special place in heaven for pennies, or do you think they'll find a special place in, well, the other place?

There will be no need for coins in heaven.  All vending machines will provide snacks and beverage simply with a proper prayer. And they've certainly done nothing to merit copper melt down in H*E*double hockey sticks! Their place is in my pennies boxes about the house. Wrapped in 50 cent coin wrappers. Waiting their turn to be sent to Bank Heaven to be transmogrified into paper! I've heard there are plans to do away with the penny! I would be very sad if that were to happen. 





4) How much did you get from the tooth fairy when you were a child? and if you have children of your own, do they get coins, or paper money? (I hear there may be some inflation.)

The tooth fairy was really good to me until I was 8 and figured out who it was. I got 50 cents per tooth! In a 50 cent piece. After age 8 and the canines and other teeth came out I got bupkiss. Wonderboy gets a paper buck a tooth. Kids today don't have the same appreciation for precious metals.  Maybe it's because coins are mostly faux filled now. We do have a really nifty tooth bank (exactly like the one above) to save his teeth in. We have them all but one so far. He kept taking one of them out to play with  and it's decaying somewhere down in the den even as we speak.






5) Did anyone in your household collect the state quarters? And did anyone in your household manage to sustain the interest required to stick with it?

Both Wonderboy and I are collecting these flippable beauties!! I have a special book that details information on each state with the coin's history behind the state's motto and such. Wonderboy has a nice cardboard keepsake that someone gave him as a gift. I'm missing that last three!! Can anyone help??? Kentucky took just forever to get hold of for some reason.


13 comments:

1-4 Grace said...

You're up late! Glad to know you have an appreciation for the quarters. I often wonder who got to choose the design for each state.
I think I might have come up with some different "alternative" designs!

Sally said...

I love that toothbank in a wierd kind of way. Great play.

Processing Counselor said...

Love that bank!

Songbird said...

If I come across a Kentucky, it's yours!

"PS" (a.k.a. purple) said...

I have found it fun to see what each state has put on their quarter. Enjoyed reading your answers.

lj said...

Hey, PG, I've seen your comments for as long as I've been blogging and been to your site several times, but it wasn't until this a.m. at Franiam that I learned you were another LJ. And I'm another PG. Though not a very good one these days, but it's deep in my blood.

OK, just stopping by to say hi. And yes, my son and I are collecting the states. I love those quarters!

Auntie Knickers said...

Great answers! 1-4Grace, I think each state had a slightly different methodology, sometimes there was a vote (not an election-type vote, more like on the Internet) and sometimes the Governor got to choose. I know there is a website about them with that info, but I can't remember what it is.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
revcrystalk said...

wonderful play! you totally made me smile with all the pictures and especially your response to where pennies go in the afterlife!

you sound like you might have that dreaded numismatic disease! ;)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, your post reminded me that I have a very small ancient Chinese coin--the original cash. (That was its name.)

Jan said...

PG, you always have such clever thoughts and cute pictures! That tooth bank is great, though I'd hate to have it in my house.

Muthah+ said...

.50??? you must be much younger than I. Inflation!

Barbara B. said...

I'll keep an eye out for Kentucky. Would you fly up here to get it?