Monday, November 17, 2008

PSALM MONDAY - #2

Today's Psalm is #7

"Lord my  God, in you I find refuge; rescue me from all my pursuers and save me
before they tear at my throat like a lion and drag me off beyond hope of rescue.
Lord my God, if I have done any of these things -- if I have stained my hands with guilt,
if I have repaid a friend evil for good or wantonly despoiled an adversary --
let an enemy come in pursuit and overtake me, let him trample my life to the ground
and lay my honour in the dust!

Arise Lord, in your anger, rouse yourself in wrath against my adversaries.
My God who ordered justice to be done, awake. 
Let the peoples assemble around you; take your seat on high above them. 
The Lord passes sentence on the nations.
Uphold my cause, Lord, as my righteousness deserves, for I am clearly innocent.
Let the wicked do no more harm, but grant support to the righteous, 
you searcher of heart and mind, you righteous God.

I rely on God to shield me; he saves the honest of heart.
God is a just judge, constant in his righteous anger. 

The enemy sharpens his sword again, strings his bow and makes it ready. 
It is against himself he has prepared his deadly shafts and tipped his arrows with fire.
He is in labour with iniquity; he has conceived mischief and given birth to lies.
He has made a pit and dug it deep, but he himself will fall into the hole he was making.
His mischief will recoil upon him, and his violence fall on his own head.

I shall praise the Lord for his righteousness and sing to the name of the Lord Most High."

(from the Oxford Study Bible)

This is a long one. I'll just highlight a couple impressions I have from this today. David is praying for deliverance, protesting his innocence, asking for justice, confident God will be righteous in judgement, outlining what is wicked and then offering praise. All I could think of while reading this was what if the author had been Uriah? And he was asking God to avenge him for David's plot to kill him and keep Bathsheba? David seems self righteous himself in this Psalm. I also kept thinking "Be careful what you ask for there, dog, you might just get it!!" 

I read that David was very beloved of God, even though he was a hound dog in his behavior. It seems to me God overlooked all that nasty business of the flesh in regarding the bigger picture.  

It also seems to me that Jesus also minimized the business of the flesh in regarding the bigger picture and gave love precedence over all in the business of salvation and eternal life. 

I find that oddly comforting today. Especially after David asks for help before his enemies drag him off "beyond hope of rescue". It gives me pause to think that this is even possible. I know, I know, Jesus is the rescuer. But still. David was a favorite and it was possible for him. Still, oddly comforted. 

3 comments:

mompriest said...

your comment on my blog....was too funny, self-differentiation ruining your narcissm....hee hee...

love your daily psalm reflections...I did that once too, long before I started to blog...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I too find it comforting that God can overlook our human flaws if we are consumed by love for him. At least, that's how I interpret David's story.

Kievas said...

It is comforting...even though I struggle with all the massacres perpetrated by David and his army, God somehow shines through the darkness.