Monday, November 10, 2008

PSALM MONDAY

I am inspired by Lindy. A Psalm a day sounds like a good dose of day start-age. Today is the first day, so the first Psalm it is. Every Monday I'll post where I'm at. 

PSALM 1

Happy is the one who does not take the counsel of the wicked for a guide,
or follow the path that sinners tread, 
or take his seat in the company of scoffers.
His delight is in the law of the Lord;
it is his meditation day and night.
He is like a tree planted beside water channels;
it yields its fruit in season and its foliage never fades.
So he too prospers in all he does.

The wicked are not like this;
rather they are like chaff driven by the wind.
When judgement comes, therefore, they will not stand firm,
nor will sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

The Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked is doomed.

(Oxford Study Bible)


There are different categories of person in this psalm. I'd like to think I was righteous, though I know it's not always so. There are two definitions for righteous, which helps. One is "morally upright, justifiable and virtuous," and the other is "perfectly wonderful, fine and genuine". Sometimes I am those things in various combination. But not always. Sometimes I have been the other things in this psalm: wicked, scoffer and a sinner. And honestly I do not always delight in the law. It's not my meditation day and night. There are chores here! Lots of them.

Does that mean that when I am not righteous God is not watching over me any more, or that I'm just not really happy? Maybe it's similar to when I watch my son for the umpteenth time walk away from the bathroom without flushing. After throwing up my hands in frustration, I just charge him 50 cents. That actually worked. He was not at all happy about paying 50 cents a non-flush. Maybe when we stray from the path, God just backs off, lets us suffer the consequences till we figure it out and get back on track.  "The way of the wicked is doomed". (For some reason  that makes me think of Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes")

Then again there are many times I do my best to stay the course and do not feel at all "watched over" during the major "crappity" (thanks Cheesehead) whatsoever. That one I cannot figure out. It's on my list of "What was THAT about?" when I meet up with the Lord. 

I don't think I'm supposed to go through my day pointing at people, deciding they're wicked and giggling over their doom. That would be far too simplistic and inaccurate a take on this Psalm. I think instead, I will try to be a tree today. With  great looking foliage. Righteous foliage.

8 comments:

Singing Owl said...

Righteous foliage. I like that. It is a good thing that our own righteousness is not all we have to depend on, isn't it?

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

great looking foliage... i'm sure victoria's secret has something for that. oh but that's not what you meant....

may you find yourself (like the tree in the psalm) being prosperous today...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I agree with your final conclusions--that it's not about pointing fingers but about putting down our own deep roots in the Lord.

And I love that photo of you up by your profile. Is it new?

Kievas said...

We have the flushing problems too...maybe we'll try the 50-cent thing.

Jan said...

I love Ps. 1. I love the image of deep roots.

Barbara B. said...

Dang, but pointing fingers and giggling is kinda fun... :)

Like the psalm post idea!

Presbyterian Gal said...

Ruth: Thanks about the pic. It's from a series of pictures I had professionally taken about 3 years ago when I was going to put a head shot and resume together to start the arduous task of auditioning. I'm just switching them out so they are getting some use.

Lindy said...

You're do great PresbyterianGal, and have so much good to say. I am honored to give an little inspiration to an obviously brilliant soul.