Friday, July 09, 2010

Last Day of Vacay GA Oy Vey

Today we go home from our second wonderful beach week in San Clemente. 

Thanks to WIFI, I've been able to keep up on basic e-mails and news of folks.

And the GA this year.

I'm not technically Presbyterian any more. But I'll always feel Presbyterian at heart. 

The news from friends who've kept up with the GA makes me so sad. There was no addressing why the church is losing members faster than you know what through a goose. Lots of worrying about sex. Who is having it with whom and who gets to be ordained based on where one puts one's you know whats. There is just so much skirting around the herd of elephants in the living room with the way it sounds this issue was addressed. For pete's sake, when I toured with Covenant Players I came across so many married pastors who were dipping in wells outside their marriage it became a standard joke. And that was back in the '70's! Yes, the church is mortally wounded, but this is not the wound that's killing it, IMO.

People are leaving the church in droves. I believe it is because the church is all about money, sex and politics, rather than what Jesus taught. Rather than being about mission. 

And that is just so sad. Back to your regularly scheduled news cast. 

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I am glad you had the vacation.

And I agree with your thoughts on mission. I think the church overall fails to help people find meaningful vocation.