Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SINS OF THE MOTHER

Related information about my childhood that my mom apparently did not know.


One of the more minor samples: 
Mom: "You were always such a well behaved child"
Me: "Well, sure. I was afraid that Dad would beat me with a brush or until I peed my pants (like he had already done) or I would get my face slapped, if I did or said anything you thought was wrong."


Result:
Mom apologized and felt remorse.


I pointed out to her some important historical information:
~In those days most adults lived very superficial lives. (at least the ones in our neighborhood did). Go to work, come home, drink cocktails, eat dinner, go to bed. Children will be quiet the entire time or else.
~Therapy was not what it is today. 
~Her own mother did not have a mother and thus was herself a terrible mother. So how could she have learned how to mother? 


Outcome:
~Getting stuff off your chest is always a good thing
~My mom rises to the occasion. That takes a LOT at 84. And don't think I don't appreciate it.

3 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

wow. I am glad she did that for you.

Mompriest said...

what an amazing gift you are to your mom and she is to you, even after all that has gone on in the past.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

What a lovely post! Hugs. Don't you think is about time to re-engineer your blog?