Saturday, March 26, 2011

DAILY CHUCKLE

It's a Saturday morning without Wonderboy. He's with his dad today. My mom and I enjoy our breakfast over the morning paper. Usually bacon and eggs. 


The conversation leading up to the chuckle is interesting in itself, and subject for a separate post. Maybe. 


It led up to my mom saying, with a laugh ".....and my little mommy.....every dinner time she would lead grace and use the opportunity to try to change our opinions on things by listing them in the prayer and asking God to set us straight.." 


I got this picture in my mind of my Grandmother, a single mother, standing at the head of the table with her two daughters and one son seated, hands folded over their dinner plates, listening as their mom goes on and on and on and on......
"Dear Heavenly Father, I just know you'll show Charlie that smoking cigarettes is an invitation to the devil to fill his body with desecration....." (Charlie started smoking at 8 years old....)....."And I know you'll explain to Virginia Lee and Mary Ann that boys can wait until they've memorized the New Testament...." 


......and then they finally eat at 9:18 p.m., the dinner cold, immediately followed by dishes and bed time.


I can just picture my Grandma, an amazing little woman who re-defined the parameters of "steel magnolia", standing at that table, smiling with ebullient love and grace as she created the ultimate  "....just wait till your father gets home..." and my mom and her siblings sitting there, taking it in. Rebelliously ignoring it at first, but years and years later, actually expressing their attention by living up to her heavenly exhortations. 


Oh, if only I could show you my little granny. She was a hoot. A very canny hoot at that.

3 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

And you are just like her.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Lets see the picture!

Dorcas said...

This was so funny!