Thursday, February 20, 2014

THE FIREWORKS OF DAILY LIFE

This week's writing prompt is

spec·tac·u·lar  (spĕk-tăk′yə-lər)
adj.
Of the nature of a spectacle; impressive or sensational.
n.
Something that is spectacular, as:
a. A single dramatic production of unusual length or lavishness.
b. An elaborate display.



I dare to apply this word to myself and my family and friends. Because we are single dramatic productions of elaborate displays of unusual lavishness. The length is to be determined, because we're still above ground and dressed. Mostly.

Do you think of yourself as "*S*P*E*C*T*A*C*U*L*A*R*?" You should. Even if just for the biological miracle that is you -

For example, our brains! Even if you are the messiest, most disorganized slob in the world, your brain is still organized better than if Martha Stuart possessed you -





That's pretty spectacular, if you ask me. There's a giant play going on inside your skull right now! A "single dramatic production of unusual length or lavishness." At least, I'd say, it's very lavish in my brain. Ask my family.

Just being able to walk one step requires more instantaneous neurological functions than we will ever consciously complete in one lifetime.

Our hearts beat without our having to think about it. We process food, even if it is disgusting poison, like processed cheese product, and discard the waste without having to do much besides buy toilet paper and find a toilet.

Physically, we're pretty damned spectacular.

The rest, what we do on the outside, is gravy, as far as the universe is concerned.

For us, culturally, there is a contrived pecking order for the spectacular. We all know this. Our species "tribe" determines who's cool, who's not, what's cool, what's not, depending on our group. Then there are the strange combinations of "spectacular" depending on your blend of political persuasion, religious preference and sexual deviations - to name a few.

Well, I for one say posh and bother! Fie on these societal shibboleths! According to them I am a strange, eccentric person of dubious morals who often demonstrates a lack of societal decency coupled with significant intelligence and sharp-edged wit, even though conservatively dressed, and, for legal reasons, relatively well behaved.

That's rubbish. I am *S*P*E*C*T*A*C*U*L*A*R* for all those very reasons and more. So are you. So is everyone around us.

I have spectacular dreams, with long stories, great characters and magnificent special effects. I can look at a wickedly difficult situation and figure a way out, without much injury. This came from years of training with untying impossible knots in jewelry and shoelaces. I can make up a poem *just*like*THAT!!* given any subject whatsoever. I helped to make an awesome child and then have had the extraordinary privilege of helping raise this child into a spectacular adult all his own! I love passionately and am loyal to a fault (usually my own). I cook a mean chili and bake like a sugar goddess.

Well, the list goes on and on.

Here's my point:

If I am this spectacular, then so are you. So are we all.

I want a world where we can all rise from sleep and enter our days with eyes eager to drink in the spectacular goodness of everyone around us. Yep. That's what I want. Don't tell me "no!" Don't give me a list of negative, destructive reasons why this can never be. That's evil and that's bullshit. We can have what we want and if we want evil and bullshit, well then that's what we're going to get.

Life is a fireworks show of spectacularly elaborate display. Either way it is going to burn us all up in the end. That's the spectacular nature of the universe. Whether the burn will be up in flames to dead ash or up in fireworks to new and even more wondrous universes, well that, babies, is up to us.

Peace, out.


3 comments:

annie said...

You are right, of course, though sometimes I don't feel particularly spectacular!

spookyrach said...

Oh, man! I love this SO, SO, SO much! It's all good, but the 'fie on societal shibbowhatsits' paragraph was way fun. :D Keep up the spectacular!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

you ARE spectacular!